Delayed Transmission Shift 2nd to 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed Transmission Shift 2nd to 3rd Gear

Hi All, I'm fairly new to the discussion board, but I've owned about 3 of these cars, so I am familiar with some of the common issues they have. Anyway, I just picked up a 1991 100 for a good price with only 102K on it. I have changed most of the fluids and flushed out the radiator, etc.

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter and the car was running fine, shifting well.

The tranny has just started to behave abnormally...the car will shift into 2nd then there is a HUGE delay in the shift to 3rd...this is sometimes prominent in the cold, but so far it occus at random times. Sometimes the shift will be smooth and there will be no delay, other times there is a huge delay, and the whole car jerks..

I had a previoud 100 with 165K on it and it never did this.

I did some searching on the forum and people point out the problem being the accumulator valve? or Transmission Solenoid?

Can someone verify or explain this issue to me? Also, if that is my problem, where can I buy a new or used one?

Thank you so much!

-Rob
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Audiholic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Delayed Transmission Shift 2nd to 3rd Gear

Most likely the problem in in the servo on the right upper side of the engine. It has a round cap, about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and has a flip up spring-type lever holding it on. You can not get to it without taking the tranny out. I have repaired many of them by pulling the carpeting on the passenger side away from the floor board, and cutting an access panel right above tha servo cap, That will give you free access to it. Remove the cap, and a C-clip that holds the sliding servo usually breaks away and wedges between the sliding servo, restricting the shift. This servo is like the old governor / modulator on GM transmissions. You should get new o-rings, there's about three of them. Watch the way the old ones come off. The job is easy - gaining the access is the challenge.