easy fix for sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default easy fix for sunroof?

last night i made the mistake of opening my sun roof because it didn't look like it was closed all the way from the back-tilt up position. opened the roof (slide back) and then went to close it. it's always been a little sticky on the passenger side, so i thought i'd "help" it a bit by pushing.

big mistake. i was out there for an hour in light rain, trying to get the damn thing closed. it kept catching on the passenger side about 2 inches open. finally, pushed and shoved and got it closed.

looking at it now, it seems the inside cloth has gotten stuck in the right side. either in the track or the cable pulley area. i'm not sure where the cables are, but afraid to re open the thing.

now the cloth is half pulled off the right side. not a big deal as this isn't exactly a new car (86 5KS), but i'd like to at least feel somewhat confident of opening the tilt up on warmer days.

any "easy" suggestions?

jim
Old 10-25-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can crank the sunroof close by hand ...

I've never done it. Bentely says so and someone here also mentioned that before. There is a allen head thing by the sunroof motor. All you need to do is turn that thing.

Zhaoming
Old 10-25-2003, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like the cables are out of sync

Raise the sun roof and you can look in from the top / back to see two springs. Make a clothes hanger into a small hook to pull these loose from the back and then you can manually slide the inside fabric covered panel back to get at everything.

You will probably find that the pot metal sliders on the sides are not in the same postions. To correct this you need to drop the motor, slide them to match each other and then replace the motor.

BTW, be nice to the slider things. They break easily. Don't force things.

BTDT many times in the old '84s

Tony
'91 100Q 5spd
Old 10-25-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Oh boy, been there ...

Let me just say that the designers of this particular sunroof must have had too much caffeine. Very strange contraptions.

Yes, you can crank it open and closed.

My best advice is to get it closed and then disconnect it altogether (imagine it's not there).

But, if you are a glutten for punishment, get the Bentley manual and go to town removing the whole kit and kaboodul from your car. Clean every part. Lubricate the cables, then reinstall.

Don't worry, the whole process will only take about 6 hours. 3 to remove, clean and reinstall, 2 to adjust it properly, and 1 for psycho-therapy when you've finished (and the sunroof still isn't quite right).
Old 10-26-2003, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You might lube the cables while you're there...

otherwise they just pop out of sync again.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yea, I have an '86 too, just too scared to retrack the sunroof

I have heard so much negative about the sunroof over the years, that I never slide mine back. Just too scared, that it won't ever close again. I do the "tip up" operation to open the rear of the sunroof only. I have never had any problems opening or closing just the "tip up."

Rooster