Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust.

I am thinking of replacing the exhaust on my 87 5000csqt. The car has a the IA Chip and wastegate spring. I am exploring 2 possible avenues.

1 - Buy the Scorpion or Strebo cat-back exhaust for the car.

2 - Take it to an exhaust shop (There is supposed to be a pretty good one around here) and have a 3" custom turbo back or cat back.

Does anyone have any advice on which way to go. Does anyone have either the scorpion or strebo on a similar car and how did affect performance and sound (I want mine to have more presence in the exhaust tome but without sounding like a civic)?

Is it likely that an exhaust shop refuse to do any work on the car because I modyfied the cat to make it a high performance shell? (Noticable power increase after I did this).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Scorpion sounds deep, resonant, and very Euro, so no worries about it sounding like a Civic's.

I heard it on an '83 UrQuattro(my buddy's), and I like the aggressive tone. It will be audible within the cabin, but I don't think it's obtrusive. I have just installed the Stromung double-cat turbo-back, which is German, though an extra muffler was welded to the 2nd section by TAP. I got a good price on it through a friend, so the cost may appear prohibitive to the layman. Even so, it WAS expensive, but the tone is amazing at low rpm, with an extremely rich and deep Porche 993 tone. It's a full 3" system from the turbo back as well.

I don't know much about the cost of having a custom job done, but I would imagine it's worth looking into. Good luck.

Patrick
Old 05-16-2002, 12:22 PM

Default How much was it? I mean how much would it cost me...

To have the stromung?? Did it improve performance significantly?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust.

i'd go for custom, in 2.5 or 3" size (i'd probably go for the 3" on a turbo car with chip/WGS mod). cheaper, flows better, etc.

www.dynomax.com to look at the different mufflers, then i believe www.racesearch.com carry's dynomax's complete line (search by dynomax part number). i like the UltraFlow personally (2.5" flows 1000cu.ft./min).

my roommate is doing a single 3" system on his '95 90q (its kinda like the 20vTQ system from the factory, not quite a true dual). with a single SuperTurbo and mild steel 3" pipe, its costing him less than $200 in parts. labor he does himself, so figure another $1-200 for shop labor...

this is coming from a stebro owner (on a CQ). if i were to do it again, i'd go custom (not saying the stebro is bad, because it isn't, i like it, just a cost/benefit thing...).
Old 05-16-2002, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Performance gains will be more significant with a new turbo, which is the direction I'm heading...

It's hard for me to answer your question about gains since I chipped with the exhaust at the same time. I think the turbo-back exhaust is $1495 (TAP1.com). I didn't go with their chip, though, fwiw. I am VERY happy with the sound of it. I'm sure it decreases backpressure some, but I've been told that it was not a necessity unless doing a turbo transplant. I justified the extra expenditure b/c I will be. Good luck. P.S.- I'm driving a '91 200 Avant, so check the website for availability for your 5000.

Patrick