which fuel pump is the best for a 5KTQ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which fuel pump is the best for a 5KTQ?

At present my 5KTQ is running great (knock on wood) but the used fuel pump I installed 2 weeks ago is really noisy. In order to prepare for the inevitable I thought I'd order a new fuel pump.

I usually order parts for my cars from Autohaus AZ, and they've got a Pierburg pump for $253. A quick scan on eBay shows all kinds of Bosch fuel pumps that are supposed to be compatible with my car for a wide range of prices. Many of the Bosch units look like they'll need to have the factory wiring harnes and mounting bracket installed, which is no problem since I've got a couple of used units kicking around.

Does anyone have any opinions of Pierburg vs. Bosch? Is there a specific Bosch part number that I should look for to ensure compatiblity? Lastly, are there any differences in the fuel pumps used in the regular non-turbo 5K's?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor
Old 10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I got this pump back in May for my 1989 200q

works great,ask them for 10% discount.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
This was the cheapest Bosch pump that i could find.
I might be wrong,but i think only late 1989 and newer cars have Pierburg pump.
Good luck.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just remembered,

Blauparts had great sale price on Pierburg.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default noisy is not good

i posted a few weeks ago about my fp generating 50psi and running lousy and noisy. A response was it should be 80 to 90 psi. It was a used unit. I cut it open (fun) and will show picts when i get back from vacation. In summary, bottom sleeve bearing was frozen and brushes and cominuter was really worn down. Did you know the gas flows over the inner workings of the motor? Scary! Heres another fact, the shaft was locked due to the brg / shaft sieze but the armature / pump rotor still spun. The shaft was not locked on the armature. Anyway, I cannot afford over $250 so I bought a Welbro HP rated at 100psi. It is made in USA and it WORKS! Check no. 13 fuse while running. If hot, stop running, you may have pump probs. My fuseholder actually melted and causing erradick running. I'll give p/n's and picts on the installation later.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your tank still has the original three-finger mounting for the fuel pump, you need the 60mm pump to fit inside the triangular fixture that attaches to the fingers.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TonyOldSchool
i posted a few weeks ago about my fp generating 50psi and running lousy and noisy. A response was it should be 80 to 90 psi. It was a used unit. I cut it open (fun) and will show picts when i get back from vacation. In summary, bottom sleeve bearing was frozen and brushes and cominuter was really worn down. Did you know the gas flows over the inner workings of the motor? Scary! Heres another fact, the shaft was locked due to the brg / shaft sieze but the armature / pump rotor still spun. The shaft was not locked on the armature. Anyway, I cannot afford over $250 so I bought a Welbro HP rated at 100psi. It is made in USA and it WORKS! Check no. 13 fuse while running. If hot, stop running, you may have pump probs. My fuseholder actually melted and causing erradick running. I'll give p/n's and picts on the installation later.
Thanks for the info Tony, I'd love to see pics and additional info.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
If your tank still has the original three-finger mounting for the fuel pump, you need the 60mm pump to fit inside the triangular fixture that attaches to the fingers.
Yes that's the setup I have. When I got the car and it barely ran it had a Bosch unit in the 3 point assembly, then I swapped out to a used Peirberg which fit in the same setup that I found at the auto wreckers. I was just curious if one manufacturer is preferable over the other. I'm also curious if all 5000's use the same pumps, or if the Turbo's are different from the non-turbos.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Got a good but used pieburg pm me an offer if you want it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd this Tony, a cheaper alternative, especially if it has a higher flow/hr rating, would be ideal!

Originally Posted by electrafixion
Thanks for the info Tony, I'd love to see pics and additional info.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is that the walboro 255 ?

Quick Reply: which fuel pump is the best for a 5KTQ?