fuel pump, boost problems, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump, boost problems, what next?

First I had fuel pump problems, actually still do, do not know if the previous owner cut the screen out of the fuel pump, or if it just clogged up. Second, I think my turbo is on the way out, unless the ECU is just really confused between not getting enough fuel and the emissions system trying to compensate. I think my WOT switch may also be intermitantly malfunctioning. The symptems began with power loss during full throttle acceleration, at about 5000 RPM, and now include less boost at the same RPM and throttle set, and only attaining full boost at about 5500 RPM, which is radically different from four days ago. The worst part is, I still love the car, enough to pay for whatever i need to, and change or install it. Anybody have any clue what is going on? any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, any price ideas on new fuel pumps and turbos? I live in Friday Harbor, WA, so the cost of shipping is a major consideration. Sorry about the length, thank you for any help.
Michael

1988 5000cs TQ (ailing, but loved)
Old 06-21-2002, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Couple o' questions

1. What are you judging the boost by, the gauge or seat of the pants? If gauge, what were you getting at 5k, and what are you now getting?

2. Is your WOT switch original? If so, replace it as the WOT portion of the switch is bad after this long (see the SJM site for details)

3. Did you check for vaccuum leaks? Check the Michelin Man hose clamps for tightness.

4. Did you change grades of gas, say premium to just plain regular?

5. Did you pull the codes when this happened?

6. Are you sick of all the questions yet? ;o)
Old 06-22-2002, 07:46 AM

Default A few answers

Unfortunatly, I have nothing to gauge the boost by but the stock display in the dash, a real gauge was on my list, but I have been interrupted. As far as I could tell, it followed the stock boost map, giveing me, I think, about 1.1 or 1.2 bar at 5k, with a max boost of 1.3 at about 4k. now it will not hit 1.1 in first, and only hits 1.2 in third, at full throttle, long after it should. As far as I know, the WOT switch is original, and pulling it has moved up on my list, just need to find a replacement. The michelin man hose was one of the first things I checked, and it seems fine, but I was in a hurry when I checked it. When I bought the car, the owners ran regular, I changed immediatly to premium, and put mobile synthetic 10w-30 in it.
thank you for your help.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like you have a leak somewhere...

First of all, pull the Michelin Man hose completely off the car. Clean it with soap and water, then inspect thoroughly. Hold it up to the light and look for daylight coming between the ribs. If it is cracked/holed, you can get by doing a Sprongl (wrap it with duct tape like he did in a rally last year), that'll get you by until you get a new one. Rod at partsconnection.com has good prices.

If it isn't the MM hose, check the turbo to intercooler hose (plus check to see if the hose clamps are tight), also the three way hose on top of the valve cover is another common failure area.

Let us know what you find!