Fuel Pump Locked up Again !!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Locked up Again !!??

I've been trying to get this car running for the past month. The first time I tried starting it i never heard the fuel pump priming , so I put a new fuel pump in in with a new Relay and Fuel Filter. Car started car died after running it for 30 min I towed the car back to the house, no noise from the fuel pump again. So I removed it and bench tested it....now the new fuel pump is locked up (2nd time)??!!
I am getting close to giving up on this car....anyone have any ideas?? THANKS!!

Patient: 1987 5000CDTQ
Garaged and not running for 9yrs.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ideas..

If the car hasn't been running for so long, depending on "how" it was stored, I would:

Pull the fuel tank, and add a bit of paint thinner or some high solvent to to and clean out the tank. While your in there, pour in something to re-seal it and seal any rust back down (like POR-15).

Something you could do is to use a external fuel pump and put a filter on the suction side, so you can see what your picking up in the tank.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default can you do a OUTPUT test

an out put test is when you put a fuse in the fuel relay .... see attached for more info.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ecuf.html#out1">http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ecuf.html#out1</a</li></ul>
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Default I've tried it.....

Thanks a Bunch for the fast responses, you guys are awesome!

One of the first things that I did was drop the tank and completely cleaned it out. There was a considerable amount of rust in there.

I did the fuse output test and it did not turn the fuel pump on. I checked my voltage at the pump and I was at 14.8v.

This is probably a dumb question, but do you think that if my injectors are completely clogged that it would in some way build up too much pressure and burn out the fuel pump? I know I am really reaching here but I'm out of ideas.

Thanks Again!!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default could try this

If you think your injectors are all blocked up .
&gt;1
undo inlet line to fuel filter have container for fuel. ( remember to paly safe around fuel ! )

turn igniton on and off ...do you get fuel coming out of the line. ( make sure it is the IN line to the fuel filter ) Because if the filter is blocked too no fuel will flow.

2 if fuel flows from test 1 now put the inlet line back on the filter and take off the Outlet line ...ign on off ... does fuel flow ?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

is the base of the fuel pump clear of debris ?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: could try this

I did that before the second fuel pump seized up(because the car was barely idling) I had gas coming from the inlet and from the outlet lines. I put a new fuel filter in anyways because I thought there would be residual junk making its way through the fuel lines..
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Yes it is clear...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't give up...

Try a different ECU. It is possible for them to fail at this age as well. If the ECU doesn't provide a good ground the pump won't run or won't run properly. The FFV and various other jellybeans will also fail to operate properly.

Placing a fuse in the relay causes the relay to close contacts and runs the pump as soon as the ignition is turned 'ON'. If the pump operates properly then you could try running the car with the fuse left in the relay.

With a new pump, relay and filter installed I think you are right to suspect other items although it never hurts to verify that the 'new' stuff is working.

Swap ECUs and see what happens.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Will do...Thanks Boxerfan.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Locked up Again !!??