Fuel Pump Relay

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Relay

Hi there, I have an 1988 Audi 200. Auto. But the fuel pump relay seems to have started playing up. I can wiggle the relay and it does nothing but then other times it looses connection and will cut car out. I have checked all the wies into the fuse box and its non of them. So I am thinking its the connectors inside the fuse oad itself. But its a sealed unit. Just wondering if anyone else has any trouble of this sort before. Many Thanks, Jamie
Old 12-09-2006, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pull the relay and see if there is any scorching on the pins...

The relay is a high current item, so you may see some discoloration on the pins, but if they are scorched then that indicates a loose connection.

Try another relay of the same type, if that doesn't work you may need to jury rig something to make it work as I am not sure you can get to the bottom of the socket and squeeze the pin sockets closed to get a better grip on the relay contact tabs.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Pull the relay and see if there is any scorching on the pins...

There doesnt appear to be a large amount of scorching. I have checked inside relay itself for possible dry joints. I have also as mentioned tested the supply wires. I thought maybe failure of the fuse boards mite be something that has been heard of. It is a sealed unit so i cant close together the contacts inside. I am going to try and get another one from a scrap yard and try that. But just wondered if anyone on here have has this before and can ofer solution. Many Thanks for reply, Jamie
Old 12-09-2006, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure you can't get to the fuse holder from under the dash? I think if you remove the covers in the driver footwell (one under the dashboard and one beside the door), you can get to the underside of the fuse/relay tray. On a 4kq, you can get the tray loose from the sheetmetal from above, and I think you can do the same with a Type 44 body. You need to remove the covers mentioned to get the wires loose enough to let you raise the tray up much. The connectors to the tray all come off individually (that is, each section of the tray has separate connectors) and once you have the connector loose, a terminal tool (I've purchased them at NAPA outlets) will release individual wiring terminals from the connector so you can crimp the grab end a little with a pliars. The kick panel at the side of the driver footwell is held in place by the anchorage for the hood release at the top and a screw (usually Phillips head) hidden in the nap of the carpeting down low.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:36 PM

You can unclip the fuesbox from the top and pull it out. It's a bit tight but you can access the connectors underneath. But they all seem fine. The terminals in side the fuse box itself ae what i want to check and they are in like a sealed unit. On the bottom you have all the connectors from the loom and on top you have the relays and fuses. There must be some sort of circuit insode the fuse box inbetween top and bottom.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

what is the problem exactly? when does it happen...explain