Grandkid safety seat and audis (any young parents out there with audis)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Grandkid safety seat and audis (any young parents out there with audis)

Just bought a 30-80lb kids seat for my grandson. My wife wants to use it in the 86 5K or in my 92 100 CS. No place to hook tethers, seat belts only tighten in accident. Seat is supposed to be firm all the time. How do you parents (or grandparents) deal with it?

Any suggestions for mounting a retaining loop or something like that for the seat?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a d-loop bolted in place on top and bottom
Old 10-28-2004, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just hook it in as best you can. Use the top tether and belt it up tight.

I used to play all over the back seat when I was a kid ans did your generation more than likely.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Grandkid safety seat and audis (any young parents out there with audis)

There is a kit available from Audi that allows you to install the tethers on the back shelf. It is a set of special bolts, washers and plastic components that is DOT approved. I bought this, and in total it cost me ~125 However, that was for 3 tethers to go on the rear shelf and as you know most child seats only need one. I have not yet installed the kit yet. If you want to buy one tether kit from me, please make an offer....matakumar@msn.com
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Grandkid safety seat and audis (any young parents out there with audis)

There is an Audi safety bulletin for the sedan showing where to install the top mount for the tether. I put this TSB on the bentley publishers site:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.tb.69-97-01.pdf

Gives part numbers and instructions.

For the seat belt that only tightens (locks) in an accident:
all seats come with metal "locking clips" which mount on the seatbelt at the buckle. It keeps the belt from moving through the buckle, allowing the bottom of the seat to be firmly attached. Once locked with the locking clip, you can put your knee into the seat, compressing the lower cushion, or give the belt a twist or two, to gain additional tension on the seat, keeping it secure. See instructions that come with each seat. Here's a list of manufacturer sites:
http://www.programprofessionals.org/crmfgrs.htm

Chris<ul><li><a href="http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.tb.69-97-01.pdf">top tether install instruction pdf</a></li></ul>
Old 11-17-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Grandkid safety seat and audis (any young parents out there with audis) LONG

We've got an 86 5000S Avant. It had no place to hook tethers. After 2 months of research, I did find that a TSB (I don't have the # any more) where Audi will install the tether anchors for free. (A tether makes a big difference, but they are not recommended for seats when used with kids over 40 pounds.) Our car was built before the production change in Oct 86 which allows this

You are pretty much limited to doing it the old-fashioned way: putting your weight into it with your knee and yanking the seat belt until it won't budge. We found it *much* easier to install in the center position than at either door. Even so, this was not our idea of a good time.

For other parents of young children: we ended up buying a seat for each car. This allowed us to keep them properly installed permanently.

FWIW, we found it easier to use seats that were dedicated to a particular child size rather than the one-size-fits all. It sounds crazy, but we ended up buying 11(!) seat combinations by the time our daughter turned 4:
- 3 bases for the infant seat/cradle
- 3 convertible seats (rear-facing to forward-facing) good to 30 lbs.,
- 3 "convertible" seats for 30 - 80 lbs, and now
- 2 booster seats (we are down to 2 cars now, but still use one of the "convertible" seats as the spare.

When we went on plane trips, we took the seat out of the 3rd car. While travelling with a seat is certainly cumbersome (esp. internationally where they may not even have car seats), it was much safer than just using the plane's seat belt and it made her feel more comfortable. Plus, we always had a "good" seat for the rental car.

Keep in mind that after 40 pounds, children are moved to a booster seat and the car's seat belt providing all the restraint. Those are particularly easy to use (but, of course, can't be used in the center of the 5K).

In any event, try before you buy. Some seats are *much* harder to use than others. And while I doubt you'll have much trouble in either of your cars, some seats simply won't work in some cars. We ended up with different brands because the seat that we liked the best simply would not work in the contoured seats of my wife's sports car.