Heater blower motor tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blower motor tips?

Anyone have any? I've got a Bentley book, but I've not found much on replacing the unit. Hoping someone has done this before and might have leaned somethings they can share. I've got a couple of hours to do it tomorrow, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default A start:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/AC.html#blow">Scott Mockry</a></li></ul>
Old 03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did mine on a 91 200TQ recently.

I don't know if it is the same assembly, but if so it isn't a huge deal. Basically start by disconnecting all of the things that impede the movement of the airbox (I think there are some wires, hoses, etc. Some of them won't get in your way, some will. Then what you need to do is get the airbox loosened up so that you will be able to slide the motor out of its housing to the left. I started loosening it up with some prybars, but found that the adhesive is REALLY nasty stuff and actually had to go at it with a putty knife to break the seal before I could move it very far. I can't remember all of the details from there, I think you have to remove a piece of the housing where the nose of the motor fits, but I can't recall. Either way, your eventual goal is going to be to get that airbox lifted up a good five or six inches in the front so that you can slide the motor out and the new one in. Once you have it propped up, it is a good idea to throw a wood block in there so that you don't have to hold it (BTW, use two prybars to get it up, not just one... it also helps to have a buddy to help, but probably isn't necessary. The airbox itself is pretty rigid and you really have to crank on it to get the thing to break a piece off. Once you have the box elevated, unplug the wires in the front of the motor, and notice that nastly little C clip on the nose that keeps everything together... cause of much pain unless you have the little tool... I didn't. I found that if you stick a screwdriver in that little groove between the two holes in the c clip and turn it sideways, it opens the clip up a bit, and with some interesting work with some tweezers, a sharp pick, and other random things, I got it off. That was the worst part of the whole proceedure. Once you have the c clip off, the whole piece can just slide out towards the passenger side and you can insert the new one in there, throw the c clip on it, plug in the wires, and you should be good to go.

This is what I remember from my adventure with it about 6 months ago, and again, it was on a 1991 200tq, not an 89, so I don't know if there are any differences, and if so, what they are.

Hope this helped,

Andrew
Old 03-12-2004, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All the 44s are the same for this 'Audi experience'

Most of us have already had the opportunity to do this project.

You can probably get away with doing this without a manual but you should get one eventually.

I would say that you should not try to get this done if you have only two hours to do it. Also, given that it is your first one but sure to have a friend to help. A twelve pack might help too.

Get a mediium C clip tool. There is a flange on the passenger side that needs to be removed after the box is pried up. It has two screws that are easy to reach and one that is a PITA. Just break the last one. It really wont hurt anything in the operation of the system.

Be sure to disconnect the cable on the passenger side before starting. Note position so it can be replaced about the same to avoid needing to calibrate the vent control servo when done.

Remove wipers b4 starting
Old 03-12-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: All the 44s are the same for this 'Audi experience'

I've never looked under the cowling. Do I remove the wiper arms, or the whole set-up, motor and all?

Does that troublesome adhesive need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The whole wiper assy comes off quite easily

The whole wiper assy comes off quite easily. That's it.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Get someone to help pry. And I mean PRY!!! :P
Old 03-13-2004, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes the adhesive has to be replaced......

Also on the bottom of the heater box under the dash about mid way up there are a phillips screw on each side hold it to where the climate control/ radio bracing is I missed them my first time and snapped the tabs prying it out. The connections for the hvac under the dash really hold that thing in there to make sure to pull them off the heater box. HTH
Old 03-13-2004, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Heater blower motor tips?

here's a link to my post about a year ago:

HTH

Sergei Pokrovsky
'87 5KCSTQW, 181k miles
Anchorage Alaska<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/23902.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/23902.phtml</a</li></ul>