HELP - 89 100q battery died, charged, turns over, but now won't start ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - 89 100q battery died, charged, turns over, but now won't start ...

Very odd. My 89 100q battery died because I left the doors open for 30 minutes. I tried to start it but the the battery gave out after about 5 tries.

I charged the battery, now the car turns over fine, but won't start. Not even a hint of the engine firing up at all, just turning over. I checked the fuses in the fuse box, they're good.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: HELP - 89 100q battery died, charged, turns over, but now won't start ...

Leaving the door opened for 30 minutes should not have drained the battery where the car won't start. If the battery was truly dead then its time to replace rather than trying to recharge it. How old is the battery?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Don't know ...

... how old the battery is, but that's besides the point. I had the car hooked up to another car jumping it, and the car was cranking just fine, but no starting.

Do these cars get flooded? I've never had a problem with flooding in my I5 Audis.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:50 PM

Default No spark now determined, but ...

... why? I've pulled all the spark plugs and tested a spark plug on three different wires for spark, and I'm not seeing any.

Again, the timing fuses are okay, so what would be the cause of no spark, and how can I troubleshoot this (don't have a manual with me).
Old 08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
TPW
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Don't know ...

Sometimes my car will crank over without starting, its related to the fuel pump. What I do is turn on the ignition, then put a fuse in the fuel pump relay like I'm checking codes. After 5 seconds I remove the fuse and finish turning the key. This has always worked and shouldn't hurt to try.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Okay, run that by me again

I don't know how to check codes. Where is the fuel pump relay? Is that the one in the fuse block that has a place for a fuse but there is no fuse present?

What AMP fuse should I use?

Why would this help it start again?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Just spent a couple hours troubleshooting and ...

The coil is good, AND I'm getting spark from the primary coil wire to ground (seriously jolting spark, thank you very much). So, doesn't this mean that the distributor is good?

If the distributor is good, and I'm getting the results above, then is it the cap and/or rotor?

Also, I tested the Hall Sensor and got a variation during cranking from 2.67 to 2.83 VOLTS. Is this in the good range?

Your help is much appreciated?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:26 PM
TPW
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Okay, run that by me again

It might not help at all, I dont't know why it helps me. Yes it is the relay with with the fuse holder on top. 5, 10, or 15 amp will work. If you don't have a bentley it might help. I beleive any type 44 owner has to enjoy doing most needed repairs.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Okay, run that by me again

The only no start problems I have had in four type 44s are due to bad fuel pump relays. The seem to go bad when it is hot weather. Pull the relay out and jumper the large slots in the box to see if it will start. If it does you can leave the jumper in till you get another relay. Carefull. If you have an accident it will continue to pump fuel - a bad thing.

Also check the fuses along the side of the fuse box as they are for ECU and other engine management issues.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:38 AM

Excellent post, thank you. Will try today.

Quick Reply: HELP - 89 100q battery died, charged, turns over, but now won't start ...