help!! problem with the hvac blower.. just when its getting cold outside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! problem with the hvac blower.. just when its getting cold outside...

figures. girlfriend's 1990 100's hvac blower stopped working recently, no matter what setting the electronic hvac control is set on. thing is, it sometimes comes on when turning RIGHT only.. then shuts right back off [only if its supposed to be on]

i havent the slightest idea wher to start, other than you guys.
any help is greatly appreciated.. it was 27degrees this morning....
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default just deform the brush housing.

if you're lucky, it will help you make it through the winter.... worked for me.

I replaced the blower motor during the summer. got 4-5 months out of the trick.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help!! problem with the hvac blower.. just when its getting cold outside...

Blower motor is about to die on you completely if it only runs intermittently when you're turning.

If you remove the rain diverter at the bottom of the windshield, you'll see on the driver side of the heater core box an L-shaped rubber hose that loops between two parts of the box. The part closer to the driver fender is where the hose supplies cooling air for the blower motor. If you disconnect the hose from the box at that end, you can spray WD40 onto the motor and that might provide enough cleaning for brush contact to improve. Follow that with something that can provide a little lube (and doesn't smell too bad--because you'll be smelling it in the cabin for a week), and you might get the motor to run a little longer. I limped through one winter with an occasional squirt of a penetrating lube that included teflon until I could take time in the spring to replace the blower motor.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Blower motor control unit.

See link for how to check.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ac.html">http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ac.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Default that sounds easy enough to do in cold weather...

lack of a heated garage really sucks, but it needs to go in soon for a wheel bearing so hopefully i can find a replacement before then and have him do that at the same time.

the blower from my '86 4kq wont be needed for a while.. will that fit? or are they very different?

thank you so much!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: just deform the brush housing?

where? how? thanks for your response
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: that sounds easy enough to do in cold weather...

You can buy a new one from Autohausaz for $142. Or if your interested I am getting ready to pull the heater box out of my 200 and install a new heater core and blower motor. The blower motor in the car is good but I figured since I was in there to just replace it. You can have it for free just pay the shipping from Missoula, Mt. Can't imagine it would cost very much it's not very big or heavy. Email me if your interested.
Oh, and the 4000 blower motor is quite different.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you do go the used route, then at least replace the brushes
Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM

Default tossed some contact cleaner and electronics lube in there..

works more often now, but not always.. unless i whack the housing, then it works.

if i cannot find one locally soon, then i shall take you up on that offer.
thank you!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: just deform the brush housing.

oh, sorry.

in Kneale's post he talks about a "L" shaped hose.

if you pull it off and spray some lube in that hole, you'll also be spraying the brush housing.

basically, if you look into the hole, you'll see the brush tower containing the brush (a chunk of metal) and a spring. Just press down on the top of the brush tower so the spring perch gets deformed by 1-2mm. This action will hopefully push the brush down far enough to engage the motor and should be good for a few months.

hth,

Chi

Quick Reply: help!! problem with the hvac blower.. just when its getting cold outside...