HELP quick please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP quick please!

Getting out of the car today I hear a big BOING within the door as I open it, and sure enough something popped off the inside door handle, inside the door panel and now it does not work. The outside door handle still works fine. Anyways, can someone help me out with how to get the door panel off so I can reconnect whatever popped off? The tools I have available are a swiss army knife and a pouch of metric allen wrenches.

THANKS!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Um...even if you could fix this with the limited tools you have...

Sounds like the cable broke inside the door; you need a new cable from Audi.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: HELP quick please!

I can take the panel off my 5K with my eyes closed, well almost. Your 100 may have a slightly different door panel, and I know the outside door handle is a different style. It takes me about 5 minutes to take off my door panel.

If it is similiar to the 5K, you will need to use the edge of a pocket knife to pry off the outside cover of the interior door "pull" handle. Inside will be a couple of large philips head screws to be removed. I think there are a couple of screws holding the arm rest in place.

The inside door release mechanism will need to be removed, but I don't know how similiar it is to the 5K.

Remove the small triangular plastic piece at the leading edge of the door, at the bottom of the glass. Be careful, either push it up or push to the right or left to unclip it. Don't pry it off, or you will break off the molded clips that affix it to the door.

Unscrew the round door button that locks the car.

The panel itself is held on with plastic clips that press fit into the metal door. Take a small flat screw driver to pry each one loose around the entire door circumfrence.

Having done all of this, your door panel should be "flapping" loose. Gently raise it up by its sides and gently pull it away from the molding clips at the bottom of the glass.

Disconnect all electric wires from the backside of the door panel, so you can set the loose panel aside.

Look inside to see what broke. I doubt that it was a cable. More likely a plastic clip broke that attaches your inside door release to the door latch. If so, you might be able to repair it yourself with some ingenuity, or pick one up from a wrecking yard.

Tools that you will need is a pocket knife, straight screwdriver, and a large philips head screwdriver.

Sometimes in situations like this, I go to my favorite wrecking yard to look at the Audi "hulks" there. You might even want to try to remove a door panel there first as practice, before working on yours. I do that, so if I break something there, I learn not to do that when working on my own car. Grab a wide variety of innerds from inside the door as parts to fix your car. They will be cheap.

Good Luck, Rooster
Old 07-23-2003, 08:10 AM

how would Mcgiver handle this problem???
Old 07-23-2003, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Um...even if you could fix this with the limited tools you have...

Here's a link on removing the door panel. Most likely the cable either broke or came off.

Scroll down to the 5th and 6th picture from the link and remove only the door handle to inspect the cable.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAudiV8FrtDr.htm">Door panel removal</a></li></ul>
Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the help but...

My door handle trim has a 8mm hex bolt holding it on dead center. Strange I thought, but that is the one kind of bolt I can't do anything with until I get home... I guess the PO broke something off before and just bolted it back on.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He would use the foil wrapper from a stick of Blackjack chewing gum...

...a toothpick and the cardboard disk from inside a Domino's pizza box, oops I'm sorry that's how my buddie fixed my rusty battery tray in my 1975 Volvo 240DL.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The cable sleeve was just popped out of the retainer, easy fix thanks all