How do I close my sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I close my sunroof?

My motor works fine, but when I try to shut it, manually or with the switch, it just moves forward about 1mm. I purchased it with the roof open, and the previous owner said the rear of the panel "fell" off of the tracks. What do I need to do?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: How do I close my sunroof?

From manual (my remarks in brakets):

"If the electric drive mechanism ahould fail, the sliding roof can also be closed by hand.

1. Insert screwdriver at left side edge of interiour light and gently pry housing out of the headliner.

2. Unscrew the now visible philips screw and pull the cover down (not down, but slide it toward winshield first and after down).

3. Swing the release lever in direction of curwed arrow. (My release lever wasn't in the "lock" position and my sunroof was acting like yours, motor was running, but roof wan't moving. So, first see if lever sits properly).

4. Remove crank handle from cover and insert into hexagonal pivot.

5. Turn crank handle and close the roof."

Also, see if blue round thingie not loose (press it up), so it rotates and presses the microswitch.

See if it helps.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If it is jamed due to a broken slider mechanism

You will need to take the sun roof out and replace the part.

This process starts with getting the back of the sun roof to raise up and them release springs with a hook to slide the inner liner back. This opens everything up so you can do the work.

If it is back and off the track I can't think of anything other than forcing it forward with the manual crank allen on the motor assembly. This might break something but you need to get the back to lift in order to do anything.

Bit messy but doable.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: If it is jamed due to a broken slider mechanism

It is stuck open, and I have already tried the manual crank. I turned it so hard that the supplied allen key started to bend. I then used a quality allen key, and it started to jump gear teeth.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You could try to push the inside cover back

into the rear roof area to try to see the slider mechinism.
What you are trying to find is a pot metal cast thing on each side that the metal top is attached to.
This part directs the sun roof to drop down at the right time and slide back and forth in the tracks.
It is very likely that yours has gotten out of sync (one side to the other) so that these slider things are fighting each other.
Hear's another idea: Take the motor mechanism out. That will also remove the pinion that drives the cables for each side. At that time you should be able to reach up and slide either of the sides so they match each other and then replace the motor to let the pinion move them in sync.

This is a REAL Audi experience. You are so lucky
: )