Old 08-12-2016, 11:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

how do i remove headliner and center armrest from 1989 quattro 200

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i remove headliner and center armrest from 1989 quattro 200

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the headliner off my '89 quattro sedan... I can't see any screw holes or anything in the moldings that seem to hold it in. the fabric is coming loose and hanging down, plus it's dirty, so i'd like to replace it...any ideas?

Also, the center armrest between the two front seats is worn and cracked. I have a parts car that has a nice center armrest and I'd like to swap them out, but I can't for the life of me see how to remove it?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to remove all the trim pieces around the headliner. Almost impossible to salvage the OEM board the fabric is glued to. I think the Bentley says to cut the board into sections to remove it from a sedan.

The armrest is held in place by a bolt through it into the body of the driver seatback. You may be able to get to it if you move one seat as far forward as possible and the other as far back. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the driver seat.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kneale is right about saving the cardboard, it's got enough glue on it to hold the car to the space shuttle (but not enough to keep the fabric up, grrr). Glue is behind sunroof and above visors. Bentley says to remove the rear seat and backrest then the wide trim at the rear window. I feel if you remove the front seats you should be able to slip it through one of the rear doors without totally wrecking it. I
I cleaned all the foam and glue off of mine and covered it with textured paint and stuck it back in. Not quite as nice as the fabric but it'll never come down again.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks... I figured out how to get out the armrest that I want (it's the kind that opens up and there is a bolt inside), but still not sure how to remove the other one... I don't see any screws, bolts, or anything... Do I have to take the actual seat apart to remove it?

As for the headliner...bummer. I may just recover w/out taking it out of the car by pulling back the fabric that is loose, applying the adhesive, and tucking it back in around the trim. Might be easier than what sounds as though it is a pretty messy process.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, got 'em both off... now on to the headliner...
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The headliner backer doesn't have to be cut or damaged to remove it. Just remove all the trim, recline the front passenger seat all the way, and it'll easily come out of the front passenger door. Use some orange 3M adhesive, recover it with new headliner material, and stick it back up.

I changed mine from grey to black, and it looks just like the headliner in our Lexus. Not as nice as the woven stuff that was originally in it, but I couldn't find any that I liked. BTW...DON'T DO BLACK! Unless you never want to drive without A/C again. It's HOT in there.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys, newbie here...the headliner fabric in my 91 100q went from being a little loose, to falling almost completely out in one day...then showered the interior with loose bits of orange insulation that was sticky...fun times! Thanks for the how-to on the headliner, it looks so tacky the way it is, I have to do something with it.