How do you tighten the stupid alternator belt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tighten the stupid alternator belt?

It seems like something is either wrong, or else very "not right". First of all, whenever my alternator throws a belt, I have to loosen the entire alternator frame so the thing will move, including removing the top bolt that goes into the engine block. Once the alternator belt is on the pulley, tighten up the AC compressor side of the frame. ThenI push as hard as I can on a foot+ long prybar while I am cranking down the gear bolt, and then I start the car, and the belt is squealing. I have also triedusing the gear bolt like the Bentley says, but as soon as I put any force on it, it starts jumping gear teeth, so I can't use it to tension the belt. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2002, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some things to check and/or consider...

How old is the belt, and where was it purchased?
There are a lot of non metric belts sold as replacements, esp. from online parts and LAPS, a dealer may be the best bet to get the proper belt.

What about the alternator pulley, is it the correct one (metric) or the original? Aftermarket/rebuilt alternators don't always come with the correct sized pulleys.

I am fairly certain that there were some changes made to the alternator mounting hardware (I'm guessing after 1986), maybe there is a mismatch and the belt is just not lining up properly.
Can you check your mounting part #'s vs the family album?

I would expect to see oil leaking if the mounting bolts into the block were not the correct size or on tight.

Hope all works out well,

Tom S
Old 11-15-2002, 06:38 AM

Default Re: How do you tighten the stupid alternator belt?

BTDT. If you have stripped/missing teeth on the adjusting bolt or the bracket, you won't be able to set and maintain proper tension on the belt. A new adjusting bolt is less than $6 at the dealer.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Some things to check and/or consider...

The belt, timewise was about a year and a half old, but it had not been used. It was in its packaging when I installed it, and it was from a trusted mechanic who always uses the OEM stuff. The numbers were metric on the belt. I checked the alignment of the pulleys last night and this morning. The alt. frame is the factory one AFAIK, and the car has been fine with it for at least the past six years. The alternator was replaced four years ago. And by the way, you are right about the oil leaking- there is quite a bit and it would make sense if that were the source. That is why I am looking for the correct bolt. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: How do you tighten the stupid alternator belt?

Thanks for the info. I actually replaced my gear-bolt about two weeks ago and have been careful not to damage the teeth.