how does one test the ignition control unit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does one test the ignition control unit??

ive gone through every vacuum line and replaced as much as humanly possible, i know my flappy paddle in the airbox is not sticking, fuel delivery and pressure is fine, plugs, wirea cap and rotor and coil are all fine.

im still having my boost issue. the only aspect i havnt concluded as good or bad yet is timing advance. ive tried to use a timing light, but it seems like timing is allllll over the place, i can see the '0' and the ' | ' on the flywheel, which im assuming are base timing and advanced timing. i didnt know my car had an ICU until tonight...shame on me.

if i clock the distributor manually, the car runs much better on idle but will not restart hot or cold. CEL comes on and throws code for cam sensor or distributor misalignment.

If i run the car at 1.0 bar on the highway i can smell much unburned fuel inside the car, 1.1 bar and the car begins to stumble...1.2 bar and she falls flat on her face.

how does one test the ICU to make sure my timing is advancing? its located under the driver side kick panel by the hod release right?

Thanks

Eric
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECU should be located on the outside wall of the passenger side footwell. A phillips head screw buried in the fuzzy surface of the cover down low releases te cover.

I'd become really familiar with Scott Mockry's wonderfully informative website. His page on boost issues is at http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ing/boost.html
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5000Q86
ive gone through every vacuum line and replaced as much as humanly possible, i know my flappy paddle in the airbox is not sticking, fuel delivery and pressure is fine, plugs, wirea cap and rotor and coil are all fine.

im still having my boost issue. the only aspect i havnt concluded as good or bad yet is timing advance. ive tried to use a timing light, but it seems like timing is allllll over the place, i can see the '0' and the ' | ' on the flywheel, which im assuming are base timing and advanced timing. i didnt know my car had an ICU until tonight...shame on me.

if i clock the distributor manually, the car runs much better on idle but will not restart hot or cold. CEL comes on and throws code for cam sensor or distributor misalignment.

If i run the car at 1.0 bar on the highway i can smell much unburned fuel inside the car, 1.1 bar and the car begins to stumble...1.2 bar and she falls flat on her face.

how does one test the ICU to make sure my timing is advancing? its located under the driver side kick panel by the hod release right?

Thanks

Eric
sounds to me like the distributor you can use a dmm and ohm it out.