How to wake up rear speakers on V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wake up rear speakers on V8

I've been trying to get sound out of the stock rear speakers with no luck. The stereo is not stock but it's been replaced by previous owner. I made connectors, so i could get line level sound for the rear speakers. Still no sound. Do the rear amplifiers need some kind of wake up current so they will turn on? The amplifiers are not on all the time right? I measured that rear speakers are getting 12v on the connector, but i dont remember which wire.
I hope someone can help..
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You most likely have an OEM Bose system in your car. The rear speakers will not work unless you have an Audi Bose Head unit. There are several that will fit. The Delta and the Gamma are two that I can think of. Again, they must be the Bose version.

You can get one of those head units and wire it up and the rear speakers <i>might</i> work. If they don't work at all or the sound is squeaky the capacitors in the Amps are shot and they are known to go bad. The other option would be to wire in some aftermarket speakers for the rear and keep the head unit that is already in your car.

I personally prefer the OEM Bose sound system (in working order of course) to any run-of-the-mill aftermarket setup. The Bose system was specifically designed for your car and is plenty loud and keeps a nice smooth OEM look. It just comes down to personal preference.

Let me know if want to trouble-shoot with a Bose headunit. I've got one sitting on the workbench.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Kevin. I was hoping i could just power the amps somehow to make this stereo work. Where do i need to get power so the rear amps would work?
I think there has been a delta/gamma system before since the wire colours match.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's fairly simple of you look at the wiring at the amp. There are four wires in the connector:

The stock head unit "switches" the amps on and off. But if you
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
The stock head unit "switches" the amps on and off. But if you
Scott, what were you about to write? Looks like your sentence ended short..
Thanks for the schematic though.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ahh.. yes it did get cut off..

If you're capable wire them to a relay (just like stock) and then use the remote off the new head unit to turn on the relay (energizing the amps) - as the amps have no remote on functionality.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, thanks. This sounds very reasonable. Maybe it would be even possible to utilise the stock relay pins to get power to the amps..?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now there is another problem, i can't find the audio relay. It says "speaker relay" on the lower relay panel, position 9/19. There is no relay at all on that spot.. Where should i look for it?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good Question.. I can't say.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Problem solved!
I was checking out the wires of the connector going to the other rear speaker. I noticed there was +12v going to one wire and ground going to one and i figured the three remaining wires were for audio- and audio+ and something else... One white wire unaccounted for. So i noticed that there was also 2 white wires crimped together in the radio wiring loom, but they were connected to nothing. So i though i just give it a try and connected +12v to that connector. And what do you know, rear speakers came to life.
So i suppose the white wires are some kind of wake up current for the rear amps? So i guess the amps are not quite the same as in the schematic, since it shows only one +12v input.

Quick Reply: How to wake up rear speakers on V8