I don't understand parting out these cars...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't understand parting out these cars...

Can you guys explain to me the rationale for parting out these beautiful cars? For example.. https://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/92424.phtml

I mean, understand the dollars and cents thought process (E.g. the car is only worth $4-5,000 and you may have more than that in repairs), but it seems to me that if the car has a beautiful chassis, great interior, then why tear the car apart...there is tons of life in the car still. I would think that the cost of doing repairs would still be less than new car payments, and in my opinion, you are hard pressed these days to find an equivalent car...I mean, what can compete with a fully loaded, roomy, fully galvanized body, all wheel drive with a nicely fuel efficient engine that can go fast when you want.

It just doesn't sit right with me. If there is life in the body, whey destroy the car...I am sure it would be worth fixing and keeping on the road...

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Time and Money

It boils down to time and money one has to get the things done or do it yourself. If you have both and repair costs are within reasonable limits then it is worth. As far as I am concenred, it is once in lifetime kind of experience to own these cars and care for them. IF you care for them they will care for you. They run superb, in a kind of climate now we have in North East.
1986 5000 CS Turbo Tornado Red.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I don't understand parting out these cars...

Yeah, I agree. The problem is these cars as most others have no resale and parts are very expensive (as compared to say a GM car). I do most of my own maintenance and get my parts really cheap compared to what the dealer would charge and I still have WAY more $$$$ in this thing than it's worth. If I had to pay dealer prices for parts and labor on this car I wouldn't own one. On the other had even though I have more in it than it's worth I also get daily use from it and for less than what a used Neon costs I have a superior automobile that you don't see on every other corner that is in mint condition. I like what other people don't have and 5000's certainly fit that. LOL. The newer Audi's are excellent but there is no "status" in owning a mint condition new Audi as it's new, it should be mint. It takes a very patient and discerning person to maintain a classic Audi to their original perfection AND use them daily. As we all know on here that is quite a feat!

Randolph
87 5KCSTQ
93 928GTS
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM

my sentiments exactly, big snowstorm coming my way tonite ......yippeeee
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM

"I mean, what can compete with a fully loaded, roomy, fully galvanized body, all wheel drive with a nicely fuel efficient engine that can go fast when you want"

Well my benz does that and more. But on the other hand I agree with alot of the coments alread made. For me though it is a matter of time and frustration. There come o point for all of use where we just get pissed at a particalur car and it is quite liberating to tear them apart and give them back a little of the crap they have given us
Old 02-11-2006, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agree wholeheartedly...

I am a single/widowed parent (not for long though, getting remarried to a wonderful woman who knows I am addicted to Audis) and in the past before my wife died, spending 4-6 hours doing something on my Audi was no problem.

Now with me being the sole caretaker of my kids, I get in the middle of something on the Audi and have constant interruptions from the kids (daughter 10 and son 13).

I have been driving my late wife's Suburban while the head was off my Audi and the fuel pump failed on the Sub. Yes, gotta drop the tank on the Sub to do it, and yes, it was something I could have done.

But I couldn't afford to take the time to do it.

I had to pay a shop to do it for me, and that was really a tough thing to come to grips with.

And yes, I did play the Mega Million game last night, and no, I didn't win, so I still have to work for a living.

Drat.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I have posted this before on the a few of the forums here so excuse me if this is a repeat.

I bought my '87 5000CS Q new in October of '87 (The day the stock market crashed) It served me well for 17 years with 270,000 miles. Then there two not as well years.

After the warranty was over, I did virtually all maintenace (per the book) and repairs. This included replacing:

One set of front strut inserts at 190,000
Rear shock replacement at 240,000
Rear trapezoidal link suspension thing. (twice, both times on the passenger side- they squeak very badly when bad)
Voltage Regulator
Throwout bearing at 210,000 miles ( yes, I did repalce everything since I had the transmission out-fun, fun!)
Fuel lines rusted out (225,000 miles)
Alternator replacement
Steering rack (after going through 5L of G005 or whatever the $20 a can stuff is called)
Starter solenoid repaired (myself)
four sets of front brake pads
Three sets of rear brake pads.
Two sets of all four brake rotors
Driver door window regulator assembly
Water pump
Hydraulic pump
Hydraulic accumulator
The $100 hydraulic hose
three fuel pumps (about 80,000 on each)
Power radio antenna
three of the electric coolant pumps
Heated driver seat element repair 3 times. (It was also once replaced under warranty).

Timing belt replacement (only because I had to replace the water pump) at around 225,000 miles.

fifty-four oil changes with OEM filter (I used normal Castrol 10W-40 in the winter and 20W-50 in the summer) It never consumed any oil.

The starter and exhaust were still original and the ABS still worked.

The exhaust manifold was cracked so the old soup can and two large hose clamps provided a marginal repair as I did not feel like removing the engine.

I then had a classic no start problem during the winter so I let it sit for 5 months. That turned out to be a $20 breather tee hose off of the valve cover. The crack was unnoticeable unless you took it off. I have other cars so no big deal. The AC clutch went bad and I bought the part and the two special tools. I just never found time to replace it so I did not drive it during the hot summer.

The odometer died at 270,000 miles but I estimated I had 276,000 miles when I donated it to charity. I started to smell gasoline so I suspected rusted fuel lines again, maybe where the line comes out of the fuel tank. Whenever a v-belt needed replacing or tightening, it became difficult as bolts became frozen and started to snap off. I have damaged knuckles many times and have become sick of it. I started to hear the alternator belt squeal with heated seats and rear defroster on in the morning and I did not even feel like trying to tackle the belt tightening as everything looked so rusted under there. So, I finally made my wife happy by donating it. She affectionately refered to the car has a POS.

I had to buy her a loaded GM Envoy before ever considering a new A8L which she knew I wanted. I got my ticket punched in November, 2004. The '87 Audi was donated December 2005, two days after I picked up my A8L!

I did spend a final few hours taking out 19 years worth of stuff, plus a sweet Blaupunkt system I added only 2 years earlier. 10 disc CD changer, 200w amp, better rear speakers and a nice deck in the dash.

As much as I loved the car I don't miss it. I used OEM or OEM equivalent Bosch parts as listed above. I would guess there was $7000 spent for the parts above including the unmentioned air filters, plugs, Oxygen sensors etc. plus another $4k or so for tires. It was a good car. Had I not done my own work, there would have easily been another $15k in expenses.

The new car is even better, but, times have changed. I struggled buying the new car because as I am older, I realize that cars are a waste of money. You can never justify the purchase of anything other than basic transportation. But, I can't take the money with me so I may as well enjoy it.

One final thing, I don't miss shifting either. But, my 2001 Turbo Beetle has a stick so I can't be classified as a total wimp just yet!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats SteveJ, good to have a girl who understands a car fanatic!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting experience! I'm just about at the end of my nearly 21 year T44 owner odyssey!

You were blessed with some very long lived parts. The only working original electro/mechanical parts left on my 85 Avant are the fuel pump, windshield wiper motor, and the right front window regulator motor.

After that long of a ride it will be impossible to forget, but like you, I won't miss the car. But to be fair, I will not be replacing it with say a Ford or Chevy wagon! I have my sights set on either a 01 or 02 allroad 2.7TTQ with a 6 speed manual tranny. Lots of mod potential, plus basic fun to drive utility, all wrapped up in a rather attractive body (imho).

Lots of luck and pleasurable miles with your A8L.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I replaced my Avant with '02 allroad, but still can't even think about selling old girl. I think

I'll keep it - it's still my all time favorite AUDI

Quick Reply: I don't understand parting out these cars...