I don't understand parting out these cars...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really have considered keeping it in the family a few times.

but reality eventually sets in. I really don't have the property/space, and $, for three registered/insured vehicles.
And, if kept, I would still need to address the leaking rear crank seal and the getting worse EM leaks. Not what I am looking forward to do.

I'd be interested in your impressions/comparisons in performance/handling between the T44 TQA and allroad.

I agree, the T44 TQA is indeed the "allroads grandmother", but let us not forget the lowly plain Avant; The Great Grandmother!
I don't think, and cannot recall if a C1 or C2 Avant was imported here in the US.

Catch you on the allroad forum soon.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's a little hard to fairly compare them ...

I guess I just love my old Avant too much. On top of that, my wife mostly gets to drive an allroad (I aslo got a company vehicle), and because of that I bought it with Tip, not 6 speed. If only for myself I would have definately gone 6 speed - more opportunities to squeeze enormos HP out of 2.7tt. Handling is different because of air suspension. But it's gonna improve a little pretty soon with bigger sway bars. And my Avant has Bilsteins HD - so a little additional stiffness. I love my Avant's sport alcantara seats a little more than allroad's seats, even though there is no lumbar support adjustments on Avant. Too bad allroads were not available with A6/S6 sport seats - they are great. Gas milage on my Avant is much much better than on allroad: 20/26 vs. 16/21 (city/highway) respectively. But I don't really mind it. Let people who drive toyotas worry about gas milage. Acceleration is pretty close on both cars (Avant is chipped, pushing around 215-225 hp, allroad is stock @250 hp). Allroad is considerably heavier and Tip. But once both turbos are spooled up it really pushes you into the seat. Again, hard to compare evenly different transmitions and difference in age of 15 years and almost 150,000 miles.
Anyway, I love both of these cars and will try to keep my Avant on the road for a little longer (insuarance and registration for such an old vehicle is not an issue in Colorado) and I can drive a stick when I have a cravings for it
The only thing I would suggest you if you're gonna look into allroads is to get on with either CPO or some other extended aftermarket warranty, because it even more expensive to fix than other less complicated Audis.

Sorry for the long post.

HTH
Old 02-12-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, I have accepted a transfer w/the co. I work for and will be in Houston soon...

We're not only getting ready for a May wedding, but also selling two houses, buying another house big enough to fit the entire blended family, and I told my fiance' that we needed at least a two car garage and preferably three car.

I am truly fortunate to have found such a wonderful woman who has a high tolerance for gearhead-i-tis.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, more apples to oranges I guess

Sounds like you are going to go the H Sport sway bar mod. From what I have read that sounds like a good bang for the buck improvement in handling.

I hear you! Yup, if there is one thing I will miss, it is the simplicity/ease of working on a plain 5KS vs the newer ones or even the T44 TQ's. And relatively inexpensive parts prices too.

Been looking at dealer CPO, plus ebay, Auto Trader, etc. CPO's seem to avg $2K-$3K more (depending upon mileage) than others w/o warranty, not sure which way I'll go yet, but I know sooner or later, I will have to get my hands dirty on it.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Thanks, I have accepted a transfer w/the co. I work for and will be in Houston soon...

not much snow down there
Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: Interesting experience! I'm just about at the end of my nearly 21 year T44 owner odyssey!

<<<Lots of luck and pleasurable miles with your A8L.>>>

Thanks. I have had it for six weeks and already have put over 4000 fun filled miles on it!

I thought of a couple more item on my old 5000CStq:

Heater blower brushes @12 years old

Heater blower-this time I was not so cheap. The universal brushes I fabricated only lasted 4 years and you have to remove the motor anyway.

Two sets of both parking brake cables.

Coolant expansion tank at 250,000 miles.

I believe two sets of front, and one set of rear brake calipers. All at different times, of course!

One brake master cylinder at about 190,000 miles.

Two front headlight$. Glass does not like big rocks!

Only one time did I have to disassemble and clean up a seized windshield washer pump.

Power radio antenna. Power feature lasted for about 12 years! I left it in the up position. During year 14 it stopped receiving AM ststions so I replaced it with a $10 manual model.

Clutch master cylinder at about 160,000 miles - a $150 pair of shoes were ruined by brake fluid!

The sunroof still worked to the very end!

The power locks never needed replacement parts although the ground wire failed in the driver's door causing the system to go dead. The piece of wire and the ScotchLock connector was cheap. My time was not.

The headliner separated from the disintegrating orange foam sponge stuff between the steel roof and the headliner during year 17. My fix was poor, but I didn't care at this point.

I think I went through 5 batteries during the life of the car. I cringe to think what a battery will cost for my A8L. It is only a bit smaller than a truck battery! Plus, to check the electrolyte level, you have to remove it! At least I do.

I'm sure there's more that I forgot about.

Thanks again for the well wishes. Same to you and all Audi owners out there who buy Audi's to keep for the long term.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM

Default Yah thats me! :) Since then I am keeping the car as a daily driver..

but if (or when) it comes to do a serious engine repair (IE bearings) I will part it out. Mainly because this was initially the plan when I purchased the car. Then again, it really depends on my car situation at the time. This isn't a bad car besides all the small things wrong which I plan to fix over time. Judging audi quality in the past, I doubt ill be parting it out.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe you should email me...

I am kinda thinking about a trade of cars ;-)d
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You just reminded me of another still original part, my sun roof still works too.