Idle problem with '86 5000 QT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do not part

For sure I wouldn't part with it just because of this but the thing is my wife is finishing her maternity leave next week and will be driving with the kid to work. She likes the car but will not touch it till this is fixed. I can drive it without any idle but my wife wouldn't make it out of the driveway =) If my brother passes his beautiful 300SD then that will be the only thing that makes me give up this car, I love this thing and get very defensive should anyone criticize it but a benz is a benz =)

chris
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO.... your car won't start....

you need to pull air past the CIS pressure plate or you won't have any fuel. This definitely will not work.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: It's either that or another vac leak. Just have a good look around in there.

If you need a hand you can catch me at treehunter@hotmail.com I'm just over on the Island.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 5kqt: Re: You have a hole in the mm hose (OT)..

Hi, I haven't figured out how to link old post of mine, so I copied & pasted it here.

The engine & Trans were never opened up. The repost below should tell you what else I did over the years. As I mentioned, I probably forgot some stuff. That was proven true, as I did not mention two of the Michelein man hoses.

I bought my '87 5000CS Q new in October of '87 (The day the stock market crashed) It served me well for 17 years with 270,000 miles. Then there two not as well years.

After the warranty was over, I did virtually all maintenace (per the book) and repairs. This included replacing:

One set of front strut inserts at 190,000
Rear shock replacement at 240,000
Rear trapezoidal link suspension thing. (twice, both times on the passenger side- they squeak very badly when bad)
Voltage Regulator
Throwout bearing at 210,000 miles ( yes, I did repalce everything since I had the transmission out-fun, fun!)
Fuel lines rusted out (225,000 miles)
Alternator replacement
Steering rack (after going through 5L of G005 or whatever the $20 a can stuff is called)
Starter solenoid repaired (myself)
four sets of front brake pads
Three sets of rear brake pads.
Two sets of all four brake rotors
Driver door window regulator assembly
Water pump
Hydraulic pump
Hydraulic accumulator
The $100 hydraulic hose
three fuel pumps (about 80,000 on each)
Power radio antenna
three of the electric coolant pumps
Heated driver seat element repair 3 times. (It was also once replaced under warranty).

Timing belt replacement (only because I had to replace the water pump) at around 225,000 miles.

fifty-four oil changes with OEM filter (I used normal Castrol 10W-40 in the winter and 20W-50 in the summer) It never consumed any oil.

The starter and exhaust were still original and the ABS still worked.

The exhaust manifold was cracked so the old soup can and two large hose clamps provided a marginal repair as I did not feel like removing the engine.

I then had a classic no start problem during the winter so I let it sit for 5 months. That turned out to be a $20 breather tee hose off of the valve cover. The crack was unnoticeable unless you took it off. I have other cars so no big deal. The AC clutch went bad and I bought the part and the two special tools. I just never found time to replace it so I did not drive it during the hot summer.

The odometer died at 270,000 miles but I estimated I had 276,000 miles when I donated it to charity. I started to smell gasoline so I suspected rusted fuel lines again, maybe where the line comes out of the fuel tank. Whenever a v-belt needed replacing or tightening, it became difficult as bolts became frozen and started to snap off. I have damaged knuckles many times and have become sick of it. I started to hear the alternator belt squeal with heated seats and rear defroster on in the morning and I did not even feel like trying to tackle the belt tightening as everything looked so rusted under there. So, I finally made my wife happy by donating it. She affectionately refered to the car has a POS.

I had to buy her a loaded GM Envoy before ever considering a new A8L which she knew I wanted. I got my ticket punched in November, 2004. The '87 Audi was donated December 2005, two days after I picked up my A8L!

I did spend a final few hours taking out 19 years worth of stuff, plus a sweet Blaupunkt system I added only 2 years earlier. 10 disc CD changer, 200w amp, better rear speakers and a nice deck in the dash.

As much as I loved the car I don't miss it. I used OEM or OEM equivalent Bosch parts as listed above. I would guess there was $7000 spent for the parts above including the unmentioned air filters, plugs, Oxygen sensors etc. plus another $4k or so for tires. It was a good car. Had I not done my own work, there would have easily been another $15k in expenses.

The new car is even better, but, times have changed. I struggled buying the new car because as I am older, I realize that cars are a waste of money. You can never justify the purchase of anything other than basic transportation. But, I can't take the money with me so I may as well enjoy it.

One final thing, I don't miss shifting either. But, my 2001 Turbo Beetle has a stick so I can't be classified as a total wimp just yet!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: 5kqt: Re: You have a hole in the mm hose (OT)..

Also remembered one ISV (idle stabilizer valve). Around 240,000 miles.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 5kqt: Re: You have a hole in the mm hose (OT)..

>Also remembered one ISV (idle stabilizer
>valve). Around 240,000 miles.

What can I expect from a failed ISV? What is supposed to happen if I disconnect the plug? My car stalls and dies...

chris
Old 02-27-2006, 09:20 PM

Default THAT SOLVED IT!

BIG thanks especially to TONY!

The MM hose fixed the problem! I owe you big time, stop by for a beer when in Vancouver! =)

There was a 2cm rip in the bottom part of the hose, now the car drives great, didn't know it had that much power, at round 5000rpm, for a heavy car it takes off like a pocket rocket! =)

Thank you everyone!

chris
Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Lane Shark

Default Send me an email, there's a Vancouver Audi meet coming soon & I can

give you other info on local Audi happenings, meets &amp; good parts places.<ul><li><a href="http://audi.meetup.com/1/events/4862725/">March 25th meet</a></li></ul>