I've found a fix for the bad front Bose speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They may look the same, but they are not the same.

*All* of the Bose amps from the late 80's thru like 92?? are all about the same in form and function. All the way down to the connectors.

What is different is the Bose labeled IC Chip that has the equalization curve for the specific car that they were installed into specific LF, RF, RR, LR (and are specifically marked so)locations.. so that when you are in the car that they came in it sounds "best" and I say that in quotes because sound is subjective.

Will they work, yes. are they equalized for the car NO.

As for the writeup on how to repair the bose amps, it is posted (or was) on the http://zr1netregistry.com/amp.htm page (as the form and fuction are the same, the writeup applies), just make sure that the chip goes back into it's correct place in the car for the "best" performance.

There is a "better" writeup in pdf form floating around, that has the digikey part numbers for the caps you need to order.. that makes it a lot easier. (for those wanting a copy PM me).

HTH..

Scott '90 V8Q x2
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For ease of repair you might want to 411 AudiOnly.com in Englewood, CO. and talk to Peter the owner

about what you need and he MAY send it to you. It's a stab in the dark but I'm not sure about him sending it as he is a typical salvage operation. If you have no other alternative let me know and I could pick one up for you and send it to you for the cost of the speaker and the shipping. His basement is filled with virtually hundreds of bose speakers (and they are all marked for location), door panels and everything else you could possibly think of. That does not even include what is in the yard. He specializes in older Audi's and is a wealth of information. I paid $50 for a new (salvage) right door speaker and bolted it right in. The drivers all look the same and are but it is the crossover and amp inside the sealed box which controls the sound output. The speakers are equalized for the location in the car as V8QinNJ said. My left front plays less volume than the front right and there is no balance on my radio, just a front to rear fader. Sitting in the passenger seat everything sounds great and sitting in the driver seat the equalization is perfect and you are not overwhelmed by the front left. As usual Bose makes the decision for you on what sounds best, but I have to say that for a 20 year old car the stereo sounds pretty darn good. Let me know if you need the help ;-)