just wondering.......gt-2871, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the rs2 EM is not prone to cracking.....it's a cast iron manifold.

The factory RS2 EM can crack. But I believe it is more like hairline cracks around the openings in the manifold at the block surface. The IA RS2 manifold is supposed to be better. The main benefit for the RS2 design is that is prevents a hot spot that can burn the #5 exhause valve. If you are going to a larger turbo you shouldn't cheap out and not get the manifold.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few months ago I did do a write up on the head removal / replacement, turbo replacement etc...

Its on here somewhere if you want to find it, I remember going into some pretty decent level of detail - probably well more than you'll need to do this project. I did the whole thing pretty much blind - just flying by the seat of my pants... which was quite difficult because I had never done anything major on any car. As a result, I'm a lot more comfortable doing it now than I was then, that is for certain! I also feel like I know the engine bay of the 20v with my eyes closed and I'm certainly excited about helping anyone with their 20v - its a lot of fun to me and I love to talk about the project.

By the way - I easily pulled on a playful dodge magnum RT this morning coming out of the onramp up to about 85 or 90... they have 340 bhp, 390 ft/lbs torque... that thing got a hemi? I know its not a huge accomplishment by any stretch of the imagination, but I also shifted at 5000 RPM in second and again from third to fourth - it could have been complete destruction if I had needed to make it that way. This turbo is fun - really fun... I think the best way to imagine it is like this: take your first gear - my second gear feels as fast... take your second gear - my third gear feels quicker - pulling from 3000 RPM in fifth with 20 PSI of boost feels to be somewhere between 3rd and 4th... its fast... and I'm still on the stock manifold, running about 21-22 PSI of boost - if I had upgraded software and a new manifold to be safe... well... lets just say it would be scary fast... this will come as soon as I can find a few dollars and a solid weekend to repull the head and do the manifold... probably towards the end of the summer.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) wants to talk about whats involved with the project, or just shoot the **** regarding my impressions on the new turbo or anything like that my phone number is 603-767-4236... I'd be more than happy to chat, answer questions, or give you a run down on what its going to take to pull the head.