looked at a 1991 Audi 200 10 valve turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looked at a 1991 Audi 200 10 valve turbo

so as the title says, I looked at a 1991 Audi 200 10 valve turbo. its pretty mint, only 144,000 km. The car drives very nice, but the little screen for the auto check system doesn't work anymore. I understand that it just may be a few cracked solder joints in the gauge cluster. What concearns me, is when you start the car, a 3 beep tone plays. From what I know, 3 beeps is a critical alert. Because the screen doesn't show a symbol, I cannot see what is wrong. Can someone tell me all the reasons why the computer would signal 3 beeps?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I know is that if you have an Issue such as brake pads worn, low windshield spray, etc. it will beep. I would recommend having it looked at by a pro. If the person who is trying to sell it, really wants to sell it, they shouldn't have an issue with that. They can usually just as diagnostic on it and it will tell you really quick. If you end up buying it and need a new dash I have 2 sitting around and would sell them to you.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those things are kinda cool when they work. But when they dont work, they cause false low oil pressure, false brake pad warning, go static, endlessly beeeeeeeeeeep. I just pulled the bulbs, found the diode that was making the beep and cut it off. Had to do it to both my 200's and both my 100's i had.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Those things are kinda cool when they work. But when they dont work, they cause false low oil pressure, false brake pad warning, go static, endlessly beeeeeeeeeeep. I just pulled the bulbs, found the diode that was making the beep and cut it off. Had to do it to both my 200's and both my 100's i had.
Actually going to try this on mine...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-driver1126
so as the title says, I looked at a 1991 Audi 200 10 valve turbo. its pretty mint, only 144,000 km. The car drives very nice, but the little screen for the auto check system doesn't work anymore. I understand that it just may be a few cracked solder joints in the gauge cluster. What concearns me, is when you start the car, a 3 beep tone plays. From what I know, 3 beeps is a critical alert. Because the screen doesn't show a symbol, I cannot see what is wrong. Can someone tell me all the reasons why the computer would signal 3 beeps?

The owner manual should have a description of warning signals.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Check all your fluid levels, especially the brake and the ps steering. BTW ps steering fluid is also used in the brake system to give it power assisted brakes, and the ps fluid is Pentosin. AKA liquid Gold...lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audiqv8
Check all your fluid levels, especially the brake and the ps steering. BTW ps steering fluid is also used in the brake system to give it power assisted brakes, and the ps fluid is Pentosin. AKA liquid Gold...lol.
It's not power steering fluid. It's an hydraulic oil. The Pentosin version is many $$$$$. It IS NOT used in the brake system except, as you say, to provide power assistance. The braking system uses a regular brake fluid.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by driveaudi.colorado
From what I know is that if you have an Issue such as brake pads worn, low windshield spray, etc. it will beep. I would recommend having it looked at by a pro. If the person who is trying to sell it, really wants to sell it, they shouldn't have an issue with that. They can usually just as diagnostic on it and it will tell you really quick. If you end up buying it and need a new dash I have 2 sitting around and would sell them to you.
Do you still have these dashes and would consider parting with one? I'm having some strange consistent indicators on mine and believe I need to replace some components so I am in the market for a replacement cluster.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkeller
Do you still have these dashes and would consider parting with one? I'm having some strange consistent indicators on mine and believe I need to replace some components so I am in the market for a replacement cluster.
Well I've got three so I can part with one. Where are you located? I cant guarantee the working order of them but as far as I can tell them work fine.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by driveaudi.colorado
Well I've got three so I can part with one. Where are you located? I cant guarantee the working order of them but as far as I can tell them work fine.
I'm in PA and don't need a whole cluster; just an electrical component to replace what I believe is fried in mine. But I just reread and realized the discussion was about a 10V, mine's a 20V and I believe the dashes had some differences?

Quick Reply: looked at a 1991 Audi 200 10 valve turbo