MAJOR oil leakage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR oil leakage...

im currently chasing down an enormous oil leak (roughly 1-2 quarts every time i drive the car), which i believe is to blame on the pan gasket. the pan is nice and clean, and the block isnt...so it kinda gives it away. only thing that worries me is that im amazed that a pan gasket could lean so much oil. all the accesory belts, ac compressor, alternator and timing belt are all getting SOAKED with oil, and so is my poor heat shield under the hood. i dont know if its a result of the oil being whipped around by the harmonic balancer and assorted belts, or if its a front seal or oil pump seal (same thing i think). if the pan is clean...and everything above it isnt, logic would say its the pan gasket, but any input would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

eric
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: MAJOR oil leakage...

If the pan leaks I would think the opposite of what your saying is true. Meaning the pan would be dirty everything above clean. I guess anything is possible but I can't see a pan gasket leaking enough to get that much oil all over the place like your sayinjg. Is this a turbo? If so maybe you have a leaking oil line. Main seal? 1-2 quarts is a lot of oil to loose, I'd think if you let the car idle and rev it a bit and study the engine while it's running you'll see where it's leaking from.

R
Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, leave the hood up and watch for leaks
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: MAJOR oil leakage...

oil cooler and lines always suspect
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How are the two oil pressure switches?

Idea 1. Pressure switches: Left side of engine block, just aft of oil pump, above engine mount. When they fail without warning, they gush oil.

Idea 2. How long ago was the timing belt replaced? It's possible that a critical oil pump / water pump fastener wasn't secured properly. Some of those 10mm head screws must have thread sealant applied to them, or pressurized oil from the pump will pour out of their tapped holes. (Check the Bentley shop manual.)

The oil makes a gooey mess of the timing belt, which will snap prematurely. BTDT -- a mechanic simply omitted one fastener(!).
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I second that - too much oil for anywhere else frankly
Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Clean the engine block and surroundings thoroughly first.

I use Gunk Engine Brite, water, a tooth brush, and compressed air to thoroughly clean the block and its surroundings, making sure that everything is clean and dry first. Then start the engine and hunt for oil with a trouble light.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How are the two oil pressure switches?

if the oil pressure switched are bad, wont the pressure warning light come on on the dashboard?

now that you mention it, the belt was replaced just prior to this happening...i fixed my water pump leak...which was a missing bolt, and i removed the back timing cover. possible that the bolt holding the back timing cover on plugs up an oil galley? didnt have that problem on my 100...even with the timing covers removed.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: How are the two oil pressure switches?

The switches leak when the crimped seal between the metal housing and the plastic/phenolic body fails. The switch contacts continue to work even as the switch is gushing forth oil.

Check the Bentley manual, this forum, and Audifans for details regarding which of those little bolts holds back oil gushers. In my experience, not using thread sealant or Loctite on the threads results in an oil leak unto the timing belt. Of course, proper torque applied with a torque wrench is important as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check those back timing belt cover bolts into the block

they should have silicone sealant on them to prevent oil leaking from the block. Specifically the ones into the oil pump housing. And/or one is already missing...

SJ

Quick Reply: MAJOR oil leakage...