Major Starting Problem!!! 89 200 QT... PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Starting Problem!!! 89 200 QT... PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!

I am VERY discouraged. I have been wrestling with this problem for about a year. Here it goes>>> One day out of the blue my 200 didn't start when it was HOT I waited 20 minutes and It finally started. Soon 20 minutes wasn't enough and I was waiting 20 HOURS before it would start. I took it to AUDI and they said "NEW Computer unit" So I bought one and NO Difference. I changed the starter switch also. I Hooked up a switch directy to the starter bypassing the KEY switch and this allowed it to start after about 5 trys. Now It Is taking much longer than 5 trys and sometimes runs rough when it finally does start. I really would apreciate any help with this.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Xel

Default Re: Several things to look at

When mine didn't start i changed starter and battery. Now it starts but with a 2 second delay after i turn the key:-) When its hot it starts right away... Donno maybe fuel pump should be changed too, cause my mechenic friend say that when the car is hot the guel is in the engine, but after a while when the car is not running all the fule goes back to the gas tank and when i star the car it takes time for fuel pump to get the fuel to the engine. I am not a pro so u might want to consider other pionts of view as well.
Good luck!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like you have bad injectors
Old 08-05-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Sounds familiar.

It is most likely the injectors BUT ..I had a similar thing last year. Have you replaced the fuel pump relay switch? If not, see if you can try a known good one from a friend or a junk yard. Make sure the spade connections are solid in the relay - fuse panel too. Parts houses have the relay for about $20.00. That cured my problem and a few minor side issues as well.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If your injectors are original, then that's at least some of the problem...

Sounds like a classic fuel problem. You have either one or more (or all) of the following things that need to be looked at:

1. Fuel injectors
2. Fuel pump check valve
3. Fuel pump relay

You may have air leaking past the injector seals, or your injectors may just be worn out (like mine) and need replacing. The standard test is to pull the injectors and check the spray pattern, but a more likely scenario is that the injectors are leaking down and your residual system pressure is dropping down to nothing.

If the injectors are recent, then the culprit may be the fuel pump check valve that sits on top of the fuel pump in the fuel tank. IF this goes bad, it allows your residual fuel system pressure to leak back into the fuel tank. To replace this, you have to break out the snorkel and pull the fuel pump.

If your injectors are original, then they probably need replacing, go to www.thepartsconnection.com and click on specials, they are on sale through tomorrow or Wednesday.

How long ago did you take it to the Audi dealer? If it wasn't too long ago, I would go straight to the service manager and ask him if they did a fuel system check. If he says yes, ask him what the normal procedure is to troubleshoot fuel problems and what were the fuel system pressure checks on your car. I get d*mn sick and tired of these idiots at the dealers that their first solution for everything is to replace the ECU. The ECU's on these cars almost never go bad, unless a short is involved. They probably gouged you for at least $600 - $800 and IT DIDN'T FIX IT?!? I would be livid, and would very politely tell them to stuff their bill as they didn't fix the problem!!! Check your fuel system, fix it yourself, then try to recover some money from the monkey boys.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default either injectors or a bad fuel pump check valve.

or a loose one, (i've seen this before too)

-rich
Old 08-05-2002, 07:47 PM

Default I had a problem where it wouldn't idle...

it was fine until you slowed down then it would stall. Very hard to get it to start again. Turns out it was a leak in the PCV system between the PCV valve (which hides under the ISV) and the fuel distributer. Check all the hoses coming back from the back of the block, to the Y on top of the engine, then though the valve to the fuel distributer. They are frequently a mess, and cause all sorts of problems. Good luck with it.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with everything Steve said. Want to add...

that you should also check the cam position sensor...

While this is a rare failure item it will cause hot start problems. Check this if the injectors, check valve or relay turn out not to be the problem...

Seen this on my friend Scott's 200 TQ...

Steve
Michigan
Old 08-10-2002, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Agree with everything Steve said. Want to add...

Blink out the error codes also known as DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). go to the following site

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble2.html

The on board ECU will store any error codes. Let the car tell you what wrong with it.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: sounds like you have bad injectors

can any one tell me how to remove the injectors for an 86 cgt