More power window/wiring drama...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power window/wiring drama...

Ok, spent most of the afternoon redoing all the broken wiring in my drivers side door jamb. Tested it out and the front windows work perfectly now. However the back windows do not work correctly . I checked out the switches by interchanging them with good ones and still no go. Both rear windows will go down only. They will not go up unless you jumperwire them. I know for sure that the lockout switch does not work. Could this be the problem? Also, the rear windows used to work even with the inoperable lockout switch so why would that be a problem now?

Any ideas on where to look?

Steve
Michigan
Old 04-17-2002, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry I can't help any with it, but...

Was wondering if you could provide details on it (wire guage etc..)? I'm planning on doing the same thing soon.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-17-2002, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay, I have to blow the dust out of the back of the brain...

I had what I thought was a problem with the rear windows on mine once, turned out to be the lockout switch. But if I remember correctly, and this is an 'iffy', the rear seat cigarette lighter and the rear windows are on the same circuit. Check to see if you have power to the rear cigarette lighter, if not check the fuse.

Good luck!

-Steve Jensen
87 5kcstq
Old 04-17-2002, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's what I have done

When I renewed both of my front window regulators due to a combination of bad motors and switches, I basically just crimped all the wires that go to the lockout switch all together. That fixed problem on the back window too...You may want to try that.....
Old 04-17-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: More power window/wiring drama...

I also think that it's the "inoperable" lockout switch. On my car, if IT is not working or if it's OFF, rear windows are dead regardless from where you try to open/close them. When my lockout switch went crazy some time ago...i had so much time solving the "real" problem before i replaced it with a "new" used one.
If you have some, put new window switches in the rear doors too. Just in case. I tested a switch once, it worked fine with my volt/multimeter. I installed it, it didn't work all the time(window goes only down and gets stuck and etc.)
It made me go and purchase 2 brand new switches just to be sure that this nightmare won't repeat ever again.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:53 AM

Do you need to borrow a multimeter? I'm in town for a while, but working long days on my second job. I plan to be home this weekend (working on the house).

Scott
Old 04-18-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's an update/more info...

I noticed that the lockout switch is already jumpered between contacts. Also when the back windows went bad they didn't go at the same time. there was about 2-3 months in between. Still think it's Lockout switch based?

Also, when I depress the passenger side front window from the drivers side control switch, the passenger side front power window switch light flickers. It does this only when going down. What would this mean? Any connection to the rear window problem or just a bad switch? Also would one bad switch in the system cause this problem with the rear windows?

I also checked to see if either of the rear cigarette lighters work. They do, so the fuse for the rears must be good.

Any ideas? I don't have access to a good lockout switch right now...

To recap: the rear windows will not go down or up from the front control panel switches. Using the rear switches only causes the windows to go down. They will not go up without jumpering the switch.

Thanks again.

Steve
Michigan
Old 04-18-2002, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default One more thing to try...

Pull the cluster out of the driver's door. Pull the connectors off the _front_ switches and plug them into the rear switches. Turn on ignition and see if they work. If they do, then it's the rear switches.

I agree, though, it is sounding more and more like the lockout.

-Steve Jensen
87 5kcstq
Old 04-18-2002, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Here's an update/more info...

I may have a lock out switch IF that is the problem. However, I have had very similar things going on (only in warm weather)and changing switches around did not fix anything.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:19 PM

When this problem was happening: did both windows operate the same way or just one or the other act up? As in a window going down but not up while the other in the rear works just fine.

Quick Reply: More power window/wiring drama...