MP3 player jack w/ stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 player jack w/ stock stereo

I want to have a nice jack to plug my mp3 player into instead of using a fm transmitter...I'm getting tired of seeing the fm transmitter hanging out of my lighter plugin.

I have an aftermarket sony multi disc changer that I want to take out (never use it), so I wonder if there is someway to use the fm modulator off that? Or is there some thing out there you can get the stereo shop to install? I want to keep my stock head unit. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: MP3 player jack w/ stock stereo

I'm thinking your gonna have to get a new head unit. But if you shop around you can find a nice tasteful head unit that is up to date with technology as well. But as far as I know, I don't think you can mod a head unit like that.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default THere is a way...

There is a way to replace a changer input with an auxillary input.

It needs a module that fools the headunit into thinking the changer is present, then substitutes your audio for the changer audio.

I can't remember where I saw the link. It was on a page that also had changer connector pinouts, that Steve sears had a link to, and was sort of a home built unit..

Some head unit manufacturers also make a specific unit to do what you want. Good luck finding one though..
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM

Default A couple options

IT all depends what type head unit you have. For my delta radio, I know that it is possible, I just haven't bothered with te mod yet. Bet basically, if you pull the head unit and look at the back, youll probably find three plugs: one for power, another for audio/ lcd, and a third which will probably be empty. This one is the plug for the cd changer that was offered as an option, i think starting aorund ~1992. From here, you either need to ifnd a pinout online to see which one carries the audiochannels, or else just experiment, with your head unit set to whatever option would run the changer - and again, I have no idea what this owuld be. Sorry i couldnt give you anythgin specific.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default CD changer aftermarket on fm 88.1

The CD changer on mine is added, must have a fm modulator as you have to have the fm on 88.1 for the CD to work. I want to keep the stock head as it links up to the dash display and want to keep that. So, could I rip out the CD player, but use the fm modulator?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Yeah

There could be, depending on how your changer is built. IF its all in one unit, you'd need to crack open the case and hope that there are two seperate logic boards. If there are, one should have the cables that run the audio signal coming off of it. If thats how it is, there might also be two cables coming to it, in addition to power. Those two might carry an audio signal; if you sabatoge an old pair of heaphones, strip the cables, have them plugged into whatever mp3 player you want, and put the cables on the posts while playign somehting; maybe youll get lucky and itll work. Beyond hat, youre probably out of luck. If it is two sperate boxes, thoguh, one of them could be a modulator; od basicalyy the same thing with it. Heres another idea though, that might work better. If you get one of those external modulators, one powered off 9v dc, you could perhaps mount it permanently in the dash. ON my 90 v8, i know there is a lot of room in the area behind the head unit; more than enough to mount somehting like that. I would get some aprts form radio shack, and take one of the "blank" dash buttons, and moutn a female mini jack on it, and wire it up to the modulator. Then, at least, itll be hidden out of sight. sorry about another long post; if you want to take a couple pics of the circuit board, maybe i could help you out; or if you have any other questions, just email me tbutters@gmail.com. Good Luck!
P.S. i was looking into a new head unit myself, but didnt do it because i wnated to keep that dash lcd - i was thinking about making a microcontroller for it so it would have the same features with a new head unit, if i ever get around to it ill be sure to post it here. anyway, good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 AM

Default Yep.....

I have a Premium radio from a severely trashed Jetta...so trashed that it was difficult to figure out what year it was (radio was $10). The Premium radio is very much similar to the Gamma CC radio on Ti Kan's site. I had to splice together a plug and a CD changer cable from 2 different cars (note to all you junkyard cruisers - DON'T CUT WIRES, UNPLUG THEM!!!) and this site where they made up an MP3 player interface was really helpful for pinouts.
Cheers!<ul><li><a href="http://www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/">Clicky!</a></li></ul>