My 91 V8 has no power above 4000 rpm.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 91 V8 has no power above 4000 rpm.

I have a 91 V8 3.6l 32v. It feels like it is hitting a brick wall at about 4000 rpm. I have read about the manifold changeover on the 40v, but I don't know if my car has this or not. If it does, can somebody tell my where it is located, or any other suggestions. It also is making a clicking sound under the dash. I think this is related to the turn signals, because it stops when you turn on the turn signals or hazards. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trs41945
I have a 91 V8 3.6l 32v. It feels like it is hitting a brick wall at about 4000 rpm. I have read about the manifold changeover on the 40v, but I don't know if my car has this or not. If it does, can somebody tell my where it is located, or any other suggestions. It also is making a clicking sound under the dash. I think this is related to the turn signals, because it stops when you turn on the turn signals or hazards. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
broken flywheel teeth is causing your problem. Pull starter, and manually turn motor over till you find the broken teeth. You will need to replace your flexplate or flywheel (assuming you have a manual). Let this be a lesson to all you other v8 owners out there on the fence about replacing that faulty starter.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for responding, but were you responding to the correct post? My car starts and runs fine. It just won't accelerate above 4000 rpm. I'm not sure how flywheel teeth could cause my problem. The car is an automatic.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for responding, but were you responding to the correct post? My car starts and runs fine. It just won't accelerate above 4000 rpm. I'm not sure how flywheel teeth could cause my problem. The car is an automatic.
Yes, I am responding to the correct post. Please don't make me regret it. I'm tired putting my hand out to help, and then because the person asking for help doesn't understand how something works, I must educate them as well as tell them whats wrong with there car. I gave you an avenue to check. Check it, and report back.....then I will explain to you why missing flywheel teeth cause the problem you are having. Fair enough?

Allan
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, I will check it out and let you know what I find.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 32vquattro
Yes, I am responding to the correct post. Please don't make me regret it. I'm tired putting my hand out to help, and then because the person asking for help doesn't understand how something works, I must educate them as well as tell them whats wrong with there car. I gave you an avenue to check. Check it, and report back.....then I will explain to you why missing flywheel teeth cause the problem you are having. Fair enough?

Allan
I sense an air of elitism. The purpose of forums like these is to share knowledge. It is contrary to the intent of this place to become annoyed when more information is requested. If you don't want to help, no one is forcing you to, and I feel the tone would be more positive had you refrained from replying altogether. I'm certainly not trying to start a flame war here, but I do object to the dark shade of your language in the two posts you made. I also applaud the OP for not getting offended.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by applehugger
I sense an air of elitism. The purpose of forums like these is to share knowledge. It is contrary to the intent of this place to become annoyed when more information is requested. If you don't want to help, no one is forcing you to, and I feel the tone would be more positive had you refrained from replying altogether. I'm certainly not trying to start a flame war here, but I do object to the dark shade of your language in the two posts you made. I also applaud the OP for not getting offended.
Oh ye of 14 posts. STFU.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with Allen.
Us elietest call it Alphred E Newman desiese.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

First thing I'd do is blink out the fault codes.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I checked my flexplate. It doesn't have any broken teeth. I didn't know that there was a speed sensor that used the ring gear. Would a faulty speed sensor allow it to run but cause the symptoms my car has?

Quick Reply: My 91 V8 has no power above 4000 rpm.