Needle Bearings in V8 P/S Timing Belt Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle Bearings in V8 P/S Timing Belt Cover

So, I am in the process of do a major overhaul of the serp belt "System" and as usual, I THOUGHT I had everything in-hand to get the project done when I started. Tis' not the case......

I have the passenger side timing belt cover off (amongst other things) so I can replace the big spring that provides the tensioning force on the serp belt. Well, once you have that whole mechanism apart, there are two needle bearing that are pressed into the timing belt cover. These bearings allow for rotational movment of a shaft that passes through the timing belt cover. After this shaft passes through the cover it attaches to a lever on the OUTSIDE of the cover. One of the serp belt rollers then bolts to that lever and does the tensioning duties on the belt.

Now, has anyone ever replaced those needle bearings? Mine are so BEYOND dry that they are almost impossible to turn. ETKA turns up NOTHING on those bearings. They aren't depicted with the timing belt cover or with the serp belt parts. I can only assume that Audi would like you to buy the entire P/S timing belt cover to get them. I am sure they could be pressed out, dimensions taken and my local bearing shop could help. However, with my luck (or knowing Audi), the chances of them being some odd size that no one has ever seen or heard of, is pretty great.

I am doing EVERY stinkin' part that could possibly be associated with the serpentine belt from the plastic sleeve inside the tensioning spring to the fan clutch! It would be a shame to leave these simple little needle bearings out of the equation at this point. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction or provide a part number (Audi or otherwise) that would be much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You need to call German Auto Connection (formerly Audi Connection)

They know the V8's like the back of their hands, and I'm sure they can help you out w/technical support and parts.

See the link below for details about V8 timing belt changes:<ul><li><a href="http://www.germanautoconnection.com/V8_quattro_timing_belt_warning.htm">http://www.germanautoconnection.com/V8_quattro_timing_belt_warning.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A good soak in diesel will sometimes work wonders...

I understand the desire to replce them though. I would if I were you. GAC is a great resource. I'll second that reference.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Needle Bearings in V8 P/S Timing Belt Cover

Blau sells a kit fer that.
http://www.blauparts.com/engines%20and%20transmissions/serpentine_belt_kits.htm