OFOs - Warped

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFOs - Warped

Hey all - I know this thread has been brought up before but just wanted to get some opinions on how best to handle this one. I found an old thread where Kneale threw this fix out for warped discs

- "UFOs are great brakes with a couple little problems. Because of our stop-and-go traffic, and because folks tend to sit at stops with their brakes applied, UFO rotors tended to warp. Generally, they'll straighten out with a few hard stops followed by a chance to cool down. If you stop so you have room to roll ahead a bit at brief intervals, the warping normally won't occur."

Just wanted to get some more insight into how hard/fast to attempt stopping the vehicle. can you just slam on them @ 10mph and allow them to cool or is it like Highway speed? Or does it really matter? In doing this is there potential way to damage the system?

May be a dumb question but is there a good practice used for ensuring they don't warp? Better braking habits, etc? My first time having the UFOs and haven't had this issue with any other car I've ever owned.

TIA
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are a few considerations.

in the "italian brake job" - the key here is heat - lots of it. so it'll take a few stops from say 60 to generate the amount required.

Just before coming to a "stop" you want room to let the car roll a bit, the key here is NOT to let the hot pad sit on any one spot of the rotor (creating the "warp").

Similar usage should be considered in your normal driving habits. no hard stops without room to let the car roll - keeping the pad moving on the surface of the rotor.

Considerations. you should inspect the thickness or the rotors you have, as most likely your at the end of their servicable life. meaning, there are boarder-line thin and there is no hope of getting a heat induced warp out of them, and doing so will (and might) product a nasty set of unpected results. (Think Rotor Collapse).

Then there is the great debate - Ditch the UFO's and swap to G60's? Actually unless you have the G60's already to cost in getting the parts and time to do the swap far outweigh the cost of a new set of UFO's. Everyone will tell you G60's are cheaper, yes they are - BUT a UFO rotor wll last almost the rest of the life of the car --- you choose. $350 in rotors or $500-600 for used parts and labor to put them in.

Not to mention changing UFO pad's is like a 10 min job (seriously).

Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I read about doing this hard stop program in the past it was 3 hard stops for speeds like 80 mph or going down mountain here in Colorado at 60 mph.
I don't know if it works, I've never been hard on my brakes and also always conscious of staying in one place too long in traffic. The times I get in trouble is when getting stopped in traffic going up mountain.
Ideas for good braking from me are..
Don't use your brakes to make all speed checks.
Maintain a constant speed as traffic allows.
Downshift for maintaining speeds down hill.
Hold a gear that fits traffic speed and conditions like holding 4th or 3rd if speeds speed keep changing.
Don't follow so close unless you really need to keep space close to keep others from moving into your spacing. If this is the case you need to maintain awareness on your driving.
Drive in the right hand lane when ever possible.
Look far ahead of yourself when driving and drive 5-8 seconds ahead of yourself making corrections and plans.
Always strive to be as smooth as possible when driving, as if you didn't want to wake your passenger.
I've been a professional driver for 9 years transporting passengers on mountain roads and fluid loads on mountain roads. Being smooth is key.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
There are a few considerations.

in the "italian brake job" - the key here is heat - lots of it. so it'll take a few stops from say 60 to generate the amount required.

Just before coming to a "stop" you want room to let the car roll a bit, the key here is NOT to let the hot pad sit on any one spot of the rotor (creating the "warp").

Similar usage should be considered in your normal driving habits. no hard stops without room to let the car roll - keeping the pad moving on the surface of the rotor.

Considerations. you should inspect the thickness or the rotors you have, as most likely your at the end of their servicable life. meaning, there are boarder-line thin and there is no hope of getting a heat induced warp out of them, and doing so will (and might) product a nasty set of unpected results. (Think Rotor Collapse).

Then there is the great debate - Ditch the UFO's and swap to G60's? Actually unless you have the G60's already to cost in getting the parts and time to do the swap far outweigh the cost of a new set of UFO's. Everyone will tell you G60's are cheaper, yes they are - BUT a UFO rotor wll last almost the rest of the life of the car --- you choose. $350 in rotors or $500-600 for used parts and labor to put them in.

Not to mention changing UFO pad's is like a 10 min job (seriously).

Good Luck.
Thanks Scott....I haven't done anything from fast speeds but did try warming them up around town and it seems to have worked well. Not perfect (yet) but so far it's definitely improved. My friend is a mechanic & when he inspected the car after i picked it up a few months ago he had the pads off in like 5 min. I was lauging at how quick it was. This weekend I'll check the rotors out to see how thin they are. The last owner had them turned and new pads put on last spring so the pads are practically new. will make sure I check to see if there's any meat left on them though.

BTW - did you see them for $350 ea or pair? I did a quick search earlier and was seeing around $280-300 ea!

Appreciate the advice.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Or you can upgrade them to HP2s off an S4:

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29978

Originally Posted by qtro
Hey all - I know this thread has been brought up before but just wanted to get some opinions on how best to handle this one. I found an old thread where Kneale threw this fix out for warped discs

- "UFOs are great brakes with a couple little problems. Because of our stop-and-go traffic, and because folks tend to sit at stops with their brakes applied, UFO rotors tended to warp. Generally, they'll straighten out with a few hard stops followed by a chance to cool down. If you stop so you have room to roll ahead a bit at brief intervals, the warping normally won't occur."

Just wanted to get some more insight into how hard/fast to attempt stopping the vehicle. can you just slam on them @ 10mph and allow them to cool or is it like Highway speed? Or does it really matter? In doing this is there potential way to damage the system?

May be a dumb question but is there a good practice used for ensuring they don't warp? Better braking habits, etc? My first time having the UFOs and haven't had this issue with any other car I've ever owned.

TIA
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did some searching for you and found the lowest price to be $175 each.
http://sd.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/...=W0133-1600344 Price $290 each

http://www.sjmauto.com/ShopByVehicle...600344&mode=PA Price $322 each

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?Ntt...0&t_event=true Price $257 each

BEST PRICE AT http://importrp.com/product.php?prod...8&cat=0&page=1 $175 each

I have 2 1991 200TQ 20V. One has UFOs and the other has G60s. I did the conversion myself on the G60 set-up and really don't want to do the job again. It was frustrating getting all the parts together and then taking the time to do the job then getting the alignment. The costs just start adding up. The braking on the UFOs is so much better. At $350 a pair I will just replace the rotors and pads on my UFO set up when the time comes. I may even do it soon. I tow a trailer with motor bikes on it and another small camper trailer and I like having the braking capability of the UFOs.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tlucach1972

I have 2 1991 200TQ 20V. One has UFOs and the other has G60s. I did the conversion myself on the G60 set-up and really don't want to do the job again. It was frustrating getting all the parts together and then taking the time to do the job then getting the alignment. The costs just start adding up. The braking on the UFOs is so much better. At $350 a pair I will just replace the rotors and pads on my UFO set up when the time comes. I may even do it soon. I tow a trailer with motor bikes on it and another small camper trailer and I like having the braking capability of the UFOs.
Appreciate the help! I originally thought about the G60 but researching all the forums it sounded like the UFOs were the best for my use. $350/pair is much better than the 600 i kept seeing. You have a few places I haven't found online yet so I appreciate the extra links!!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK...silly question - how did you get the rotors to show up in your search? I originally looked @ autohausaz and searched by vehicle - no UFOs. I checked out the site that had them for 175 and started looking at some other items. went to go back to the rotors and again...they don't show up when I select "Brake system" after selecting the vechile type. Can you forward on the magic pixie dust? I've tried various searches on these sites and can't get them to come back w/ the UFOs.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put in part number W0133-1600344 in the search by part number.
You can just re use the links I provied in my post as well. I just clicked eacho of the links above and opened each in a new tab on my browser.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put in part number W0133-1600344 in the search by part number.
You can just re use the links I provied in my post as well. I just clicked eacho of the links above and opened each in a new tab on my browser.
Thanks! My problem was that I didn't have the exact part number in hand when searching the sites. I would have figured if you chose the proper vehicle (3B 200Q20V) it would have pulled the rotors...but pretty much every site I've been to doesn't. Odd. Thanks for the part number though. Makes things much easier

Quick Reply: OFOs - Warped