Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

I searched this topic, I hope i dont waste your time with this question. My car has like 150000 or more on it, the odo is broken, and i am thinking about using synthetic oil. I was reading it can cause leaks because it cleans the out areas that could be leaks but just clogged? i know i have a little tiny leak now, i never have to add oil between changes but the bottom of the engine is covered in oil. what do you guys recommend?
BTW I use Quakerstate 10-30 now.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Oil

Well if the bottom of the engine is covered in oil you probably have a bad oil pan gasket or possibly something up top like a valve cover gasket. I have heard that switching to synthetic oil can cause leaks. But I am hearing more and more that it is with older cars (like muscle cars) that leak from switching. I switched mine over to valvoline higher mileage oil and my 90 does seem to be burning as much oil.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Oil

This is a recurring toppic on the Audifans list. You should search the archives for tons of responses.
Zsolt
Old 04-23-2004, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Oil on bottom of engine

this can be caused by the oil drain plug ( replace gasket ) wipe pan area clean and observe .
dm
Old 04-23-2004, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Trying to get a read on your oil consumption

Approx how long (miles)do you avg. between oil changes, 3000? How low on oil are you when you change it?
If less than a qt, and not adding any between changes, and you are currently using lighter 10w-30, I think you would have no problems switching to syn.
But first I would strongly recommend cleaning off the oil deposits all around the engine in order to pinpoint where any current leaks are. Some are easy fixes.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: ??

sk88erguy is just trying to find out some info on this subject, Oil. Zsolt if you have time to reply to his message you have the time to help him out .... He obviously isn't using the right key words in his search. be proactive and not reactive ...please don't take offense to my comments , it's just a point.

synthetic oils
synthetic vs 10w30
oil leaks synthetic
Old 04-23-2004, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my thoughts..........kinda long.........

I have heard for a long time, that if you have an older car with high milage, that it is not advisable to switch from regular oil to synthetic. I think the rationale has to do with the concept that the detergents in synthetic oil will clean out dirt and sludge deposits resulting in leaks and higher oil consumption by oil getting past the piston rings. By this time, this info could be "just an old wive's tale." You may want to email the manufacturer of the synthetic oil that you are thinking of purchasing. Learn what their customer service people have to say about switching to their product.

Also, if you decide to continue to use regular oil, you may want to use a heavier grade of oil. Suggest 20w-50w in the summer, 10w-30w or 40w in the winter. It may surprise you, but that is what Audi recommends in their owner's manual, well at least for my '86. My mechanic further recommends this for any car with 100,000+ mile on the odometer. With engine wear, a heavier oil lubricates better then a thinner oil.
Regards............Rooster
Old 04-23-2004, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If its worth the cost of the oil...

Then try it. My 5cyl has around 250k, and Ive never thought of putting 4 dollar a quart oil in there, not worth it IMHO.
Just stick with regular oil, its cheaper, and you will save yourself the hassle of more potential oil leaks. The cost just isnt worth it.
If you had a new engine, that would be a different story
HTH

Mike
Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM

Default I switched at 110K only 1 small leak now

Been using mobil 1 0w-40 and it does leak out of the oil pressure sender. I also used to have a leak from the VC gasket but changed to the newer silicone gasket and no probs now.
If you use good quality dino oil and change every 3k miles you'll probably be fine. I heard that QS and Pennzoil are the same company now so if you're using QS you might want to check and make sure that it is not parafin based as it causes sludge buildup.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're gaskets are all in good condition...

you should be fine.

Most people who bitch about leaks are the people who have bad valve covers gaskets, cam seals, etc, etc...

Then they blame the oil.

Sure enough, synthetic oil will find it's way out if theres bad gaskets, etc...

I'm over 250,000 miles with no leaks whatsoever.

I use Mobil 15-50 summer and Shell Rotella Syn 5-40 for winter.

I highly recommend synthetics in Turbo cars.

Also, I notice that Synthetic oil tends to be consumed more rapidly in my engine compared to dino oils. Don't know why, just my experience.

Steve
Michigan

Quick Reply: Oil