OK, so I've done almost everything but the car still does'nt pull up in the revs's ( LONG)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK, so I've done almost everything but the car still does'nt pull up in the revs's ( LONG)...

I'm still having the lack of turbo power I used to have up in the rev's...
The car will start fine ( about 1-2 sec crancking when cold) and drives excellent in the low end part ( up to 3000 rpm's). At that point, starts going a bit rough and does'nt have the turbo-kick....turbo boost clock will go up to 1.2 and if I really step on it, will se very rarely 1.3.....
Car is a 200 '89, AUTO, MC-1 engine with 145000 M
I have done all this :
- New Timing reference sensor ( timing OK). Plugs, cables.
- New knock sensor
- New WGFV
- New MFTS, and temp sensors for ISV and ECU...
- Injectors
- O2 sensor
Don't find any leaks..
Fuel consummption has improved form the time I've changed the temp sensors: I'm doing 17Mpg in FULL ( 90% ) stop and go traffic....
What do you think about fuel conssumption??

I have a stiffer spring. At this point, I think something is wrong with the WGFV althought is new.

I have search around and found that there is a thing to do to test the Waste gate itself, which is to by-pass the wgfv and plug the tube that comes from the intake manifold directly to the top of the waste gate....In case I do this....How dangerous is to the drive the cr in a traffic jam?? What do I do with the other tube that goes into the intake pipe coming from the turbo???

What should I feel/see when driving the car???

If something is wrong with other issues than my wgfv ( let's say waste gate ), what should ( or shoulnd't) see when driving the car???

If the car goes well with the set-up ( by pass), and the wgfv is new, what should I look for???

Thanks a lot guys...I think I'm getting close, but I feel that "close" is very far away....
Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you still using the stock ECU?

You said you have a stiffer spring... If there is a stiffer spring, I'm thinking that the WGFV is kind of out of the mix, as I'm not sure the vacuum/pressure there is enough to open/close the WG? (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)...

I would think that with a stock ECU, and a stiffer spring you'd be hitting the fuel cutoff at 1.65 without any mods to the ECU? (does that make sense?) The mods to the ECU allow it to boost higher without hitting the cutoff (r-mod or chip)..
I'm still thinkking that the most important part of that is the stiffer spring.

If you still have the stock spring, it will open the WG somewhere between 1.2xxx and 1.3xxx so you may not get up to 1.3..

Hope I'm not too far off the mark..
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Torn wastegate membrane?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:43 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Are you still using the stock ECU?

ECU is stock....
How about the set-up I talked about for testing the waste gate ( theby-pass thing). Haven't done it yet...

Waiting to see if someone can confirm if the set-up is OK to test the wg and then what to do depnding on the outcome....

If you guys can confirm if the by-pass layout is ok.....I'll keep you posted...

Thanks....
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 AM

So your ECU is stock but you've installed stiffer WG spring?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You have a stiffer spring installed? <edit>

that should keep the WG clamped shut significantly longer than the stock one. I'm not sure what you should see but just scratching 1.3bar seems low.

Disonnnect the hose to the WG cap and run a line from the manifold to it instead. You should slam into the fuel cut. If not then look at the lower WG line and check your diaphragm.

ERROR &lt;Any time I've had &lt;low&gt; boost the WG die-a-frag-em has either torn or just cracked a little.&gt;

Actually, the boost hits the fuel cut because of the torn diaphragm. Low boost is not a symptom. the exhaust gas pressure equalises on both sodes of the diaphragm and the spring force then clamps it shut resulting in overboost. Sorry about that. I got muddled.

You may just have a leaky hose.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Default Exactly...Because the wgfv didn't work at one point, the mech decided to put in a stiffer...

spring with no wgfv.....But now I did buy one ( new) and don't know what the problem can be....

That's why no ECU mod's were done...

For what I have read, First thing I will do is to by-pass the wgfv and if it doesn't work like you guys sugest around here, it's probably the WG itself ( diaphragm )...

Keep you posted
Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You have a stiffer spring installed?

Thanks a lot Boxerfan, I really understand what the wg is all about....I'll sure try...

When you say I should slam into fuel cut....Could I drive for a while if I go gently on it??? Let's say the same traffic jam I get 17Mpg I talked about earlier????

BTW : What do you guys think about that fuel conssumption????
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 AM

Default somone correct me: if you install stiffer spring, does the wgfv have any function?

It would be my understanding that in order for the wgfv to control the wg with a stiffer spring, it would have to create more vacuum/pressure? Since there is no "feedback loop", it would operate as if
it's controlling a 1.4 spring, and therefore in effect be doing nothing????(because the ecu is stock)

So if OMP did install a stiffer spring, he's never gonna know if the wgfv is actually doing anything anyway????? (am I off base here?)
Old 02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I mean if you mash the pedal and activate the WOT you should hit the fuel cut.

Quick Reply: OK, so I've done almost everything but the car still does'nt pull up in the revs's ( LONG)...