Oversized Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Richmond VT...spend a lot of time in Castiine Maine though.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversized Roof Rack

Bouncing some ideas here. the Car my 1990 200 Avant.
I have this problem, I have too many toys and tend to want to take all of them with me everywhere i go. AKA, 3 whitewater kayaks, 3 wind surfers, Crash pad for climbing, Way too much climbing gear, tons of skis, Mountain bike, and a 420 sail boat. Not to mention me. I spend half the year in VT half the year in Castine Maine. With trips back and forth several times a year.

So the idea... tell me if im crazy. or if you support this and have any suggestions for sure let me know.

Part A. Trailer hitch, already mocked one up in wood, just need to get metal and start fabricating. that will hold the 420 and im thinking about building a second level on the trailer to put kayaks and such on.

I have but new struts in and am looking around for new springs for the rear, also ordered some spacers that go in the springs to help stiffen them up. new control arms as well.

Part B. little more crazy,
I wanna build a oversize roof rack for the car. like what you see on trucks that hang out over the front. because i noticed on my last drive back that even when i have the kayaks and all on the roof most of the weight is over the stern. also the existing Yakima racks are not big enough. with the ski box i can only hold at most 2 boats or one boat and one bike,

So my idea is to make a big frame that extends out to over the hood of the car, then have 2 legs come down and attach some where on the front bumper area. one idea i had was to run them down to the front fenders slide a piece of metal between the hood and the fender and bolt it where the fender bolts to the frame.

I want it to be removable and have minimal to no alterations to the car.

thoughts opinions?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say stick with the trailer. Much easier to pull off, reversible, and makes the car less 'top-heavy' .
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Put your racks on a trailer frame.