oy...steering wheel is locked....help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oy...steering wheel is locked....help!

So my ignition key was getting hard to turn. Like, really hard to turn. Who knows why, just wouldn't turn. It was doing this in the past, and enough hand torque got everything rolling again. Well, this time it didn't budge, so i took the spare key and some pliers...

So now the key turns freely, the car starts up just fine, but the steering collumn is still locked...?!?

What gives? I can go forward and backwards, yay! Can i disconnect the lock from the column? No one's going to steal this thing anyways. And I was going to take her for a transmission cleaning. Brat...

I searched the forum, something about drilling out the weird star-like screw? I just want to drive it to work on Monday.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you want to drive to work on Monday better plan on

Spending Sunday with your car and tools.

You have broken the steering lock. You should have moved the wheel back and forth a bit when turning the key so this would not have happened.

To fix you will need to remove steering wheel (5000s not for 100s / 200s) and then remove instrument cluster. There is a cylinder about a foot long beside the steering that the key fits into at the dash end. The other end is the electrical part of the ignition switch. Loosen a screw and remove the electrical switch aand pull toward you so it will hang outside the instrument cluster where you can start the car with a screwdriver.

The cylinder is attached to the steering column with a sort of a 'T' and on this is a bolt that the head is broken off from. Drill this out until the whole assembly can be removed.

You will get to buy a new one for $180 +++ and then will need to see if you can find someone to re-key it for your keys or use a separate key for doors and ignition.

Should be nicer to your poor car : (
Old 03-14-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Can the assembly function as just a switch and not a lock?

Well, seeing as how the key/switch still works, I'm hoping I can just remove that bolt that's preventing the wheel from turning and put everything back together. So it will just function as a switch and not a lock...possible?

I mean, if worst comes to worse, I'll just replace the whole thing with a Ferrari-style push-button switch. That would be sweet! Who needs a lock anyways...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:16 PM

Default fixed! kinda...

Ok, so I removed the instrument cluster (I had 6 bulbs burnt out too, got those replaced) and saw that the ignition lock was connected to the steering column by a single torx security size 30 screw (the 6-pointed star with the hole in the middle), TR30 it was called.

So a trip to the hardware store later, I had the ignition seperated from the steering column but the bolt wouldn't come out, so I ended up spending an hour with a hacksaw to cut the 1/2 or 1/3 inch solid steel bolt, then reassembled the whole thing. Works fine so far. I need to replace it if I want to lock the wheel for security reasons, but at least I can drive around now. What a way to spend a Sunday.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Told you so : )

Well at least you will get to work tomorrow.

Sorry for not responding to your other question. Got busy today.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:21 PM

Default no prob

After reading your post describing everything, I now realise how correct you are. It's weird with reading posts, I never quite get what the person is saying until after I have done it, then I'm like, "oh yeah!"

Just a blonde moment I guess. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, me too. I am more of a hands on / visual learner.