please dont tell me I need a new fuel pump.........please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please dont tell me I need a new fuel pump.........please

Well usuall its loud on days that are 20 below. but the last couple days it's been 50+. I've never heard it this loud before. It's like a buzz/humming noise, and you can hear it inside and especially outside the car. somebody please tell me their's made noise for a long time before making that trip up to fuel pump heaven.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 PM

Default If you are lucky....

You may have this noise for months and then it may go away. If you are NOT, then your fuel pump can fail tomorrow or the next day and leave you on the side of the road. I know - scary!
If you hear the noise more and more often or constantly, you better start looking for a new fuel pump ASAP. Buy a new FP relay too.

More than a year ago, during the summer, my fuel pump was making noises almost everyday. My car actually died one day, just for a minute ...but i was stuborn. The pump was only a year old back then so i decided not to touch it until it fails. Well, believe it or not, the noise went away and i still have the same fuel pump in the car - 40k miles later. It's "humming" only once every 2 months or so but that's about it. /knock-knock/

Here is a little tip for you - keep your fuel tank AT LEAST half full or more at any time, especially when hot outside. Gasoline cools off your fuel pump and makes it happy. And Use good quality gas only!

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2003, 05:32 AM

Default Re: If you are lucky....

yeah my old van was similar, heard a buzzing noise out of the rear one day and the next day it just died on me going around a corner. bad fuel pump. when my audi did a similar thing last november i thought it was the fuel pump (except i heard no noises which was weird); turns out it was the relay.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: please dont tell me I need a new fuel pump.........please

Yes, I've BTDT. Mine didn't leave me stranded but it was really loud. Buzzing. So loud that when my friend was in the car he said it sounded like someone was in the back seat shaving. LOL. Anyway I replaced that, and the relay and vacummed out the tank. All the innercoating had flaked off and was loose in the tank. (common problem) Now it's nice and quiet.
Randolph
97 Cab (sold)
87 5KCS
93 928 GTS
98 Cadillac STS (for sale)
Old 04-10-2003, 02:32 PM

Default Re: please dont tell me I need a new fuel pump.........please

I have a 5000S and had a similar problem. Like a fool I rushed out to get another pump for it, and after installing it, heard noise again. Then I had the time to drop the tank after siphoning out 20 gallons of gas. Turned out that the fuel filter screen on the bottom was literally full of rust and other particles. In my case I found another tank at a local wrecking yard, replaced it, and it's been quiet ever since. If the filter has crud in it, it is starving the pump, it works harder, and makes noise. Used tanks are $60 and new pumps are $180, so worth a look since you have to take the pump out anyway. Good luck.