Previous Owner rant driveshaft center bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous Owner rant driveshaft center bearing

Well today my car started doing something new. There is a loud thud going over bumps from the rear end. It feels like the rear end is jumping when it hits a bump. I also noticed that at speed 45+ I can feel a slight vibration sometimes.

I knew the previous owner did this, and its been in the back of mind ever since. He didnt know where to get a center bearing for the axle so he got one for some other car, maybe a bmw, and made it fit. I'm thinking it may be going out again, and now that its been modified somehow, i'm going to have a hard time finding whatever was in there. Hopefully its something else and not that bearing.....ugh

The control arm bushing look ok, and the tie rods are new, only other thing i can think of is rear axle mounts or that bearing, both of which dont sound like much fun.

Paul
Old 07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Center Bearing

It's a pretty common practice to use a WMB or Mercedes part on the center drive shaft. Unless it's a total hack job, I wouldn't place my bet on that bearing.

I had a bushing on the front of the passenger trailing arm on my car go bad, awful clunks at any speed from the rear. Got 4 new from Rod at TPC for $9 each, 443 511 247D. Took between one and two hours to remove the bushing carrier, pry out the old bushings, and reinstall the new ones.

HTH!<ul><li><a href="http://www.audifans.com/twiki/bin/view/Audi/CenterDriveShaftBearing">http://www.audifans.com/twiki/bin/view/Audi/CenterDriveShaftBearing</a</li></ul>
Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default awesome, thanks, i havnt had time to diagnose much yet

I hope its just suspension busings.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Let me know if you need help

I'm in Dayton.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ended up being suspension bushings

At least I think. They are shot for sure, oddly enough they looked fine on the lift while getting an allignment only a week ago, maybe the allignment put some extra stess on them, who knows. I assume I have to pull the whole arm off and press those out.

The center bearing wasnt a total hack job, though it did have quite a few washers behind the bolts because the center bearing housing looks to be a tad big for the audi. Bearings and housing looked fine.

Oh well, another audi project I guess. At least she will run nice afterword.

Paul