Q; can an electronic oil pressure gauge be used to measure fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q; can an electronic oil pressure gauge be used to measure fuel pressure?

Methinks yes. I've searched the archives here and elsewhere and ran across a couple posts about doing this to save about $100 off the outrageous cost of an elec fuel pressure gauge+sender. I generally shop online, but i was out and about today and stopped into jegs, the guy thought i was crazy and said the sender wasnt made for fuel, and the thickness of oil would make for different readings. I didnt feel like arguing about it, since I'm really not certian on the subject, but seems to me hot oil would be just about as volitile to a sensor (thus similar construction). Viscosity probably doesnt matter to a pressure sensor, i wouldnt think?

Anyone think using an oil pressure sensor for fuel is a particularly bad idea?

Paul
Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know why viscosity would effect pressure in a hydraulic system.

Higher viscosity might prevent pressure loss around seals, but I doubt that the sensor would know that, or care.

A good spring and needle pressure sensor isn't much less than $100.00. I have a "yard sale" CIS pressure tester with all of the fittings. I have never even tried to set it up. It was the $5.00 price that did it.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well, i have an electric one sitting around somewhere

its not full swep like what I wanted but i guess i can test with it just to make sure it works well since that wouldnt really be any extra work. I just dont see the reason why an electronic fuel pressure gauge costs $150(autometer) and the electronic oil presure which uses the same type of gauge and sensor costs less than 1/2 that.

Yeah $5 sounds like u got a deal. I'd just buy something like that but i'd really like to see what my mods here in the near future are going to be doing for presure while i'm driving and i dont want to run fuel into the cabin.

Thanks!,
Paul