Rack N Pinion Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack N Pinion Removal

Alright How would i got about on taking my rack in pinion off i have looked around in the car firewall area but like where are the main parts i should know. like where is the easiest way to get to the rack N pinion because im tired of this leak need to fix it so how do i remove it out of the car i got tools garage jacks stands just need to fix the leaks.

Last edited by Jairek; 05-06-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Six odd hours first time, in and out.

check archives, a few great writeups ...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

SON MAN HEY!!,you really should consider buying a repair manual first ,then switch from mountain dew to regular coffee ,jack stands are a good start, and I cant say enough about shop safety,I would poke around the net first for a manual ,why I got a nice link from that Tenno fella from Estonia for my V8. Now all depending on your age and hand size ,you may consider obtaining a hungery 11 year old who will do any thing for a happy meal when you want to get that back hydro line banjo bolt started when you re-install the rack or update your line on the V8 model,that said I am curious if you located the source of the leak and diagnosed the leak originating from the lines or the rack? if it is from the line's ,I strongly suggest you follow the reply to your prev. post on this subject ,remove line ,clean line,ship line to north left coast,re-install with new copper washers ,no more dirty drive way or green gold down drain!!.....peace and love, Ding
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

well my leak comes and goes its like i can pen point where i think its at. it may be the boot is complete broken off and i can understand for the cars age why that would be because the car accept the engine has about 313 thousand the engine don't because it don't burn oil or leak oil or tranny fluid and it doesn't knock. but it may be one of the lines i know my resivor leaks out the top of the cap from time to time and its pretty tight squeeze to the rack n pinion if i drive for a while it starts to burn really bad then i stop and people are like dude is your car gonna blow up and im like nope because its nothing to do with the engine at all its the rack from getting so hot and turning so much it leaks and leaks and wont stop at all its pretty embarrassing because everybody thinks. that my car is leaking engine oil when i check the oil alot and its always full so is tranny fluid and anything else but the power steering goes low alot so i know there is a problem there. so one day im going to rip it apart see whats up i think one of the seals is leaking it drains on the exhaust and just smokes really bad
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well get yourself a half dozen cans of break clean ,"PUT OUT ANY FRIGGIN CIGERETTES-NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAME!!"and while engine is "COOL" and "NOT RUNNING" spray ALL hydrolic componants lines ,pipes tubing,down with the stuff ,wipe heavy areas down with rags ,"DISPOSE OF RAGS SAFELY AFTER CHEMICALS HAVE EVAPORATED"DO NOT THOW IN GARBAGE CANS STORED INSIDE ANY DWElLING OR BUILDING,GRANDMA'S HOUSE ECT...."!!!!then use compressed air if available to clean and dry areas comletely ,then when fumes have disapated, and surfaces are dry, place a large piece of cardboard under the cars engine from radiator to trans pan,then while you watch (with powerful flash light if needed) have a second person run engine at idle with car IN PARK and turn steering wheel lock to lock, all the way left ,then all the right ect..what do you see? ,what and where are things leaking? ,what and where are fluids dripping on cardboard? ,maybe view cardboard after operation in the morning ,or hours away....source leaks and repair!!!...and never use the word "like" in a sentence again....Ding
Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah lol ill have to do that when it stops snowing. idk why its snowing guess thats colorado for you. but i got a perfect spot in my garage with cardboard and jacks ima check it out.