Radiator fan 2nd stage on all the time when the car is running...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan 2nd stage on all the time when the car is running...

I ruled out the possibility of a bad A/C high pressure switch and fan relay. So I am almost sure it is caused by a stuck thermo switch. Is the radiator fan thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator a common trouble spot? If not, I may just get one from the junk yard.

Zhaoming
Old 06-15-2003, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default just had egggsactilly the same problem Thermo switch common prob

My wife called a few weeks ago with a dead battery in her 86 5K the fan was running loud when she parked and went shopping. 2 hrs later she comes out and bat is dead.

when i put the jumpers on, fan started running immediately. it was pretty loud, so i wasn't sure if it was the 2nd or 3rd speed. so i disconnected the wire to the fan and sent here home. (not very far)

next day, wire back on and it's ok. fan comes on and off pretty normal. i wasn't sure if it was a relay or what, so i drive it for a few weeks, waiting for it to stay on again. the weather has been really cool and the fan hardly comes on at all, even if i let it idle, it appeared normal on and off.

except it's not normal, the fan that comes on is really the third speed fan and when you are sitting in traffic, other drivers look over to see what's making the noise. i found this out after changing the therm switch and listening to what the fan is supposed to sound like.

now, the fan comes on but at a lower speed. it's not the very low 1st speed fan that comes on sometimes after you shut it off, but it's somewhere in between the very loud and quiet fan.

i thought changing the thermo was going to be a pain in the ***, but it turned out pretty easy.
disconnect the lower rad hose, (maybe the top one to and get it out of the way). disconnect the wire and take a deep 30MM socket to loosen it.

That's where i thought i'd have a problem. i don't have a deep 30mm. a 1 1/8 doesn't quite fit, but there was just enought bite on the socket to back it out. i thought i was going to have to get under there with a big *** crescent wrench or pipe wrench or something and it's pretty close quarters.

BUY A NEW THERMO. DON'T DO A JUNKYARD GRAB. It was only about $15 bucks at a shop that specializes here on audis.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$15? That's good to hear.