Radiator replacement .....please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator replacement .....please advise.

My radiator has been leaking pretty bad(from the side?!?!?) for few weeks now and i finally ordered a new OEM radiator from the web. I should receive it today.
First, how long should i expect to take me to replace the radiator, considering that i have average auto-mechanical skills? 1-2-3 hours?

Second, i remember that people were talking about hard to get to bolts/mounts around the radiator.... is this going to be an issue on my Audi 100 or it is easier to work on this model? Non-turbo 5000 owners should know the answer.

Is there a specific procedure somewhere that i can follow, step by step?

All i ma trying to do is to figure out how much time i should reserve for this repair and how do it the smart way....Paying someone else to do it is not an option.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Radiator replacement .....please advise.

I think you'll be fine.

You might want to flush the system a few times before installing the new radiator.

IIRC, my radiator (turbo motor) came out with the fan and shroud attached. You can swap the fan/shroud and temp sensor from the old radiator to the new radiator when it's out of the car. You will need a 29 mm (IIRC) deep socket for the sensor if you want to get it to the proper torque...or just tighten the heck out of it with a big wrench (mine leaked first time around (didn't torque it) and I couldn't get it to torque in the car - so I just got it tight)...you'll want a new gasket for the sensor..you could probably make one from some material available at FLAPS.

I did buy a radiator mount kit from audiquattroparts.com...seemed like a good thing to have on hand - the mounts are rubber bushings with threaded studs through them...I think two on top and one on the bottom of my car. My old ones could have been reused.

Be careful with the little fitting on the top of the radiator that goes to the expansion tank - I've heard they can break if you happen to lean on it while working in the area.

you might want to consider a new t-stat and lower rad hose while you're in there...and check other hoses while the system is drained...

that's all I can remember. I had the Haynes manual when I did mine - but I think you'll find it pretty straightforward.

good luck, graba
Old 10-03-2003, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: As Steve_J once advised me..

remove the mounting hardware first before draining otherwise coolant will drip in your face. Sage advice.

Agree about changing the t-stat. Be sure to double check all the hose clamps, I miss one every time.

Where did you get the new radiator?
Old 10-04-2003, 01:13 PM
TPW
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: As Steve_J once advised me..

Check the sjmautotehcnik.com web site for a good step by step radiator replacement.