Removing 1990 V8Q Engine Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing 1990 V8Q Engine Cover

How the hell do i remove that stupid black cover? I removed 6 screws total, because thats all i could see. The front end seems to lift up, but the back end seems either still screwed in, or stuck on something, and space to look around isnt really there...Help me please! Someone!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Removing 1990 V8Q Engine Cover

Did you remove the strut brace? Did you remove the philip head screws at the back of the air box which can only be access with the brace removed. Then remove the two rubber air duct on either side and lift the air box out.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Removing 1990 V8Q Engine Cover

Well i did the top two screws, then two phillps on the very back that were hard to get at. I didnt see a brace to have to remove those, but ill look again. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Default PITA! Air Filter?

Ok so i got one of those back screws out, but the other one just wont budge. What a pita!!

Also..how bad is it to not have an airfilter?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM

Default OMG...

Well, finally i got the stupid thing off...what a PITA like i said before...but heres something else thats funny. NO AIR FILTER. I havent taken one out, and im assuming the last owners saw it was cloged and didnt want to replace it, so they just left it out. I talked to a friend of ours who isnt an Audi mechanic, but volvo. He said a lot of my problems (sputtering, hard idle etc) could be related to this because the crankshaft filter (thank god its there, bugs, dirt, sticks etc are all over it) is rather clogged, so the engine isnt getting all the air it needs or whatever...therefore it could potentially affect gas mileage, AND cause gas to be clogged back into the system which would make it leak...i think thats how he said it...anyway. What a mess.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: OMG...

I guess you answered your own question running the engine without an air filter.... Don't.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: well...oh well.

well what upsets me is how long i've had this car, the whole time without an airfilter...and no telling how long the last owners had it without it. Im pretty upset over it. hopefully though, replacing the crankcase filter and getting a new air filter will solve a lot of my problems...
Old 01-20-2005, 04:28 PM

I don't see how no air filters would cause a fuel leak. I would still try to hunt that one down and rectify it.
I'd hate to hear you lose that V8 by an engine fire.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"I don't see how no air filters would cause a fuel leak."

It doesn't. Considering that there are two very very hot exhaust manifold underneath the engine I would find the leak(s) ASAP.

Doing routine mainentance should be done in the summer or early fall when the weather is still nice.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:47 PM

well im not done looking for the fuel leak. Though i am pretty sure i dont have to "look" any further, i am unsure as to what the issue is. The smell is on top of the engine, and really strong in the back area. Probbaly the FPR such as Audiqv8 mentioned. If i knew even what the hell that did, i'd look into replacing it, or getting whatever else fixed.

Quick Reply: Removing 1990 V8Q Engine Cover