Removing Speedo from IC

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Speedo from IC

I'm trying to fix my (mostly) non-working speedo.
Does the speedo just pull out of the IC after you take out some screws and ribon cable? Does the needle on the front pull off or is it glued on?

-Rick
87 5ktq
Old 07-06-2004, 01:28 PM

Too bad 5ks wont fit, got one with 40k on it.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Removing Speedo from IC

there are 2 (i forget) screws on the back of the speedo, made of brass.

after that it just pulls out. it has 4 pins that go into the ribbon, but they are a slide connector deal, not soldered.

I dont think the needle is glued, just a tight fit. i managed to slightly screw mine up by prying it off (bent the pin a bit). I imagine it would be easier just to wind it past the limit, then backwards past zero (err 20km/h), back and forth, while slightly pulling up on it. I imagine that should break it loose without any bending.

chances are there is just a loose connection where the pins sit in the ribbon, so maybe just flow some solder on the pins once removed, to make them have a tighter fit in the sockets (mounted to the ribbon).

if you dissassemble the speedo, its not too difficult to move the odo to the actual milage you have. pop out the pin with the small gears on it, adjust, replace the pin adding one gear at a time. I set mine to 000000 for my new engine, but never ended up putting my old IC in.

I bought a new (old) cluster, put it in, then i messed around with this one to see if i could fix it.
- had it fixed ( i think) until i messed around with it one too many times and broke the coil (mounted by 4 melty-plastic tabs) off the uh. armature i guess it would be called. doh. I suppose crazyglue could fix it, id have to run it off of a signal to see if it was still accurate though.