Replacement radiator recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement radiator recommendations?

. . . for an 86 5000cstq

I had just finished replacing the clutch over-center spring, went for a test drive (YES! It's alive!) and the radiator's right side tank lets go and spoils the mood . . . .

So, any recommendations for a replacement radiator? Local FLAPS offer either Ready-Rad or Spectra brands. AutohausAZ carries Behr (OEM?) and Nissens. FCPGroton website shows CoolXpert.

Not sure of the maker of the car's current rad (it's whatever Blau parts was selling about 4-5 years ago)--but would like to get at least another 4 years out of the replacement.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Behr--any experiences with them or the vendor (AutohausAZ)?

Thanks in advance!

Steve A-
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd recommend the BEHR from autohausaz. Better fit and finish than the Nissens.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just received my coolxpert, priced at $68 from bmaparts.com

I havnt installed it yet but the quality looks quite reasonable. Its got plastic endcaps and aluminum center section. Ill let you know how the install goes, but I'm probably ot going to get to it for about 1-2 weeks
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Go with a steel radiator if you want longevity. You won't have to worry about the plastic side tanks or plastic outlets breaking off due to heat. The other tanks will typically get you 4-5 years of use, as you know.

Don't forget the radiator supports also. They secure the bottom of the radiator, and keeps stress off the plastic outlets.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't heard of an all-metal radiator, will have to look during the next few days. Other than that, am leaning towards the Behr. AutohausAZ also has all of the hoses and supports so should be able to one-stop shop with them . . . .

We'll see.

Thanks again!

Steve A-
Old 10-09-2012, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got my coolxpert rad installed this weekend. Everything fit up as expected. The aluminum core has a much higher density of fins than the previous one. I don't know if the previous one was original or not but it had aluminum (i think) fluid core with brass endcaps and painted copper cooling fins. It was not actually leaking but the copper fins had corroded so much on the side toward the engine that I could just scoop them out with my finger. So I assumed they were probably not very effective at cooling.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The OE rad is Al/plastic, so what you have is probably a custom job.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, better late than never . . . .

Got a Behr from AutohausAZ. R&R took a while as they had shipped the incorrect unit on the first attempt (sent a Nissen unit for a BMW). They drop-shipped a new Behr-Hella unit direct to me within a week, so that worked out.

The new Behr unit is an Alum/plastic composite radiator. Looks like more fins, and some of the assembly techniques looked different (tanks' retaining/mounting flanges were slightly different, etc.). Doesn't seem as well put-together as the OEM unit I had (OEM mfg date was 1999), but the new Behr looks pretty comparable to the Nissens units I've been using in our old Volvos.

The big thing to be careful of is that the new radiator's lower retaining nuts aren't as deep as on the OEM. For example, on the new radiator the stud on the lower rubber cushion/mount (PN 431 121 273) bottomed out against the inner aluminum tube before the cushion was fully seated. Rather than risk crushing or puncturing the new radiator, I cut about 3/16s off the end of the cushion's stud. FWIW, the studs on the Meyle version of the cushion/mount (PN 431 121 273) were about 1/8-inch longer than the OEM part.

Other than that, the fit seems good. No leaks so far (knock on wood) . . . .

Next comes all new hoses for the hydraulic system . . . .

Thanks again for the advice and recommendations!

Steve A-
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I figure I'll post an update as well. I bought the el-cheapo CoolXpert with plastic tanks. Install went well, everything fit as it should. There is a higher density of fins than the stock unit. Overall build quality of the radiator looked very good. Build date on the box was June 2012. Its been in for a few weeks and so far so good.