Reuse speaker wires when changing out Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reuse speaker wires when changing out Bose system

I am planning on pulling out my entire Bose system in my 1991 200 before the weird noises get worse and a fire starts.

Is there any problem with using the existing wiring from the radio to the Bose speakers for my new speakers? TIA.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Reuse speaker wires when changing out Bose system

Dave,

No problem specifically. The only "problem" is that the wires covering may have become brittle and make the wires prone to brakeing.

Other than that. wire is wire.. no problem; hell for that matter get a "reverse" harnass adapter from metra and you dont need to cut the harness at all. Cut the amp's connector (on the amp side and use that pigtail to connect the new speakers to.

Good Luck!.

-Scott
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In theory you could.

In theory, You could use them over. They all got to the 'right places'.

BUt the bose 'signal' wiring was designed to carry low level signals, not power.

If you are going to be running 'real' power, I'm thinking that you would want to replace with thicker wire. In reality, you'd only have to do that if you were goign to be runinng fairly high power and want lots of bass.

If just running a normal headunit without any separate amps, you'd probably not tell the differance.

Use a fishtape to slide the wire under the carpets, and shouldn't be too hard..

(Realative to say, pulling a motor, that is!)
Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Thanks Frank & Scott. Basic stereo, so I will reuse the wiring.

I may get serious and use some of the heavy speaker wire I purchased, but I am just using a basic stereo, no amps, so we will see.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wouldn't reuse the cheap wire on the Bose...

Agree with Katman, that is basically unshielded preamp wire by definition, not good for the original purpose, and not good for powering speakers.

I've strung many type 44 sound systems over the years. For fishing, I like to use either old sunroof cable (pam coating helps it snake places you'd never think possible) or hood release cable works too. I just did this with my replacement 92 v8 rear speakers with some serious cableage, all I pulled was the rear seat and the PS left seat track trim piece. I also deleted the phone from the arm rest, figuring on putting the Ipod input plug there. About 4in too short on the prewired Ipod cable to do that, so it ended up in the dugout below the arm rest in the center console.

I came to the conclusion long ago, the best thing about bose components is the ability to easily put good speakers where the crappy ones used to be, and the bose cable is great for fishing into the door hinges.

HTH and my .02

Scott J
93 v8Quattro ABT chipped - Bose system delete
Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Banned

Default coat hangers work pretty well too, When I replaced my head, I had to cut out the rear amp

which works perfectly, but on a common ground and the rad saw this as a short... I ran the new wire under the door sills, but it still works quite nicely. Just need a couple of capacitors for the tweeters
Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

if your system works ok, don't change it. You will never get the same sound a audi bose makes!!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

mine sounds incredible, the only thing I did was cut out the rear amp cuz my new head didn't like it