Seized brakes, cheapest solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized brakes, cheapest solution?

Good afternoon AW

I am a student and have a 200q20v which I used as a daily driver through high school a couple years ago. Since I moved away it has been parked for 2 years, and I believe the brakes are seized. This is the only issue I know of making it not roadworthy. What would the cheapest solution be to get this car back on the road? I really miss driving it, and seeing it parked on my driveway every day makes me sad it isn't being used.

A while ago I was considering the G60 mod (it still has UFO brakes on it), but never went through with that just because it was pretty expensive and that would mean having to get new wheels. I still have the stock BBS alloys; a set for both summer and winter tires, and they both have plenty of tread left so I wouldn't want to get rid of those just for the brakes.

I was considering buying a parts car that still had good brakes, but I wanted opinions first. The rest of the car is solid except for the suspension, but that doesn't make it un-drivable.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The *cheapest* solutoin would be to replace the UFO's, with UFO's. Even if you got used rotors from someone here, or try Force 5 Automotive (or even new).

The G60 Conversion is going to set you back about the same $$ ($300 or so); G60's WILL fit under the sotck BBS wheels.

Then you can get into some additonal $$, by going to a BBK using the existing UFO housings, bu tthen you're into between $800 and $1000 - not to mention; yes you will need new wheels and tires..

Where's the car located?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

jack it up and see what corners spin freely,fronts might be ok ,those UFO'S can keep for a little while since they are semi-shrouded,check that gutter side rear ...wire brush those pad guides and clean and lube them sliders...rears are a cheap proposition for rotors....just think half full....Ding
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car is located in Ottawa, Canada.

So you think for the G60 conversion it would set me back only $300? I was thinking it would be much more expensive than that, which is why I have put it off for a couple of years. Where would I go to start learning about that (besides searching here), and am I looking for used parts off of another car?

Just to get the car back on the road I probably wouldn't invest in the BBK setup, as I would only end up driving it for a couple of months of summer before I move away again.

Edit: After looking back at previous posts, some by you V8, UFO's are priced somewhere $250/ea new which is pretty steep. Perhaps I could find a parts car with a decent set on it though, which would hopefully be less expensive. I suppose I will keep my eye on the classifieds for UFO's in decent shape.

These of course are the BBS wheels (off google img).

Last edited by Abysil; 05-14-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Richmond VT...spend a lot of time in Castiine Maine though.

just a though....
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...rake%20Caliper
Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are several V8's being parted currently, that you can use the entire front assembly from. They would just bolt in place, you'd need an alignment and to bleed the brakes and you're done.

join/post to the V8 list, or on AF "wanted" and I'm sure that someone will get back to you within a couple of days (if not a couple of hours).

If you were thinking of doing it "sooner" one might be able to catch the Carlisle Mule - that is Carlisle as a gathering point a person woudl give it to another that was going back to or towards Buffalo or Ft. Erie area and you can pick them up to save on the cost of shipping.. (Just a thought).
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ledzepp2994

They are about $100 CHEAPER at RockAuto. <--- Just saying.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Abysil,

Good to hear that the 20v is still alive! I Remember when you picked it up after numerous issues and shenanigans (on my end!)

Cheers, Eric
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric NY
Abysil,

Good to hear that the 20v is still alive! I Remember when you picked it up after numerous issues and shenanigans (on my end!)

Cheers, Eric
Yep, it is still going fine, except for the brakes. I really haven't had much time driving in the past 2 years though, since I went off to Montreal for school. Hopefully this summer will see it back in use though, as it really has treated our family well. I made sure to start it for a couple hours every time I came home though just so it didn't start growing mold in the cylinders or anything too nasty from sitting. I think it could use a new P/S system as well overhauled suspension incl bushings, shocks and struts, tie rod ends etc, but really the brakes are the only thing in dire need of replacement. We did replace the timing belt the last summer before it was parked, so won't have to take the front end apart for another while still haha.

Anyways, nice to see you still browsing audiworld. I kind of missed the whole audiworld/quattroworld debate, but I suppose most people still check AW every once in a while =D [/offtopic]

-Mike

Last edited by Abysil; 05-15-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give them all a spray of brake cleaner and light tap with a hammer.

Quick Reply: Seized brakes, cheapest solution?