speaker location

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker location

Seems like the front speakers being mounted in that flimsy dashboard material hurts the sound quality... have any of you played with this?

The reason i bring this up is i had to put a new window in my bros civic cause it was broken into, and when i removed the speaker i sounded SO much worse than when it was mounted.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:20 PM

Default That's because there's no enclosure.

A speaker must have the sound waves produced from its front face isolated from those coming off the back of the cone. To do this, in audio terms, is called an infinite baffle.
Otherwise frequencies cancel out.
And everything sounds like a skreechy bassless headache.
Speakers must be mounted in a baffle or enclosure.
The door cavity serves as the enclosure.

Do a google for sites on Audio and car audio. They'll explain in detail of all the types and terms that will help you achieve a satisfying sound system.

I can't help further since I own a 200 and the 5k's dash is completely different.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks will, i hope i can find somthing my sound doesnt have much "depth" to it
Old 11-06-2004, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

A Great Compliment to Wil Ng! Ever think of dethroning that guy on Jepordy?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:07 PM

Default What speakers are you using? and...

you can make a backer board out of 1/4" luan (sp). its tough and transmits sound well. You might have to remove the dash pad to get real in depth. I would suggest simply converting your dash speakers to higher ranger (not tweeters but say 4khz up) and mounting 6" speakers in the doors with some nice buildouts... just my $.02
Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ive got infinity reference 452i's in the front and 652i's in the back...

i have thought of going door speakers as well, how would i build it out? and what is this luan stuff.. and with the backer would it be like a box the speaker sits in? and should i do it for the rears as well...
Old 11-06-2004, 11:11 PM

Default These are good speakers.

I am not sure why you aren't getting decent sound.
Perhaps the wiring polarity is wrong.
If you get the polarity crossed, the speakers are playing out of phase. That's the same cancellation effect as I mentioned above. You will get no bass, odd phase shifts to midrange as you turn your head.

The rear deck 6.5" should give decent bass. Not subwoofer-seat rattling bass, just musical bass.
The 4.5" dash speakers won't provide as much bass for obvious reasons. (and not sure how a 5k dash speaker is mounted)
But you can try to use XTC Acoustic Baffles behind them. Also, I've read that removing that cloth glued to the back of the grills makes a big improvement in clarity. It muffles a lot of high freguencies.<ul><li><a href="http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&amp;DID=7&amp;Partnumber=260-782">XTC Acoustic Baffles</a></li></ul>
Old 11-06-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Heheh! Thanx, :_) Just trying to help out.

I have a speaker fetish!
:-)
A little bit of correct information can go a long way. It doesn't take much more effort to do things the right way and achieve satisfaction and notable results, compared to doing a hack job and not knowing what happened.

The guys in this forum have been good to me when I needed help. So I like to return that charity whenever I can be helpful.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i removed the cloth a while back helped a lot, thanks for the info will.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: These are good speakers.

in my dash the speakers just sit in a hole, there is nothing really "holding" them besides the dash material itself... very week i think, the rears are mounted to metal so i think that helps but still when i open the trunk i get so much sound coming out of that, those baffels looks really cool.

Quick Reply: speaker location