speaker location

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In my experience, you're better off ditching the dash speakers..........

I've been seriously into car audio for about twelve years, and tuning this car for about eight. The main problem with the dash location is that the left speaker is really close to your head in comparison to the right. Also, they are both too far away from the midrange. This creates time alignment issues, a small but noticable gap in time between each speaker and your ears(time delay). People will argue about this all day but a true audiofile knows that, for proper imaging, the source of sound for a given channel all has to come from the same distance and direction(tweets and mids need to be close to each other). The best sounding speakers I've heard are simple two way setups. In this case more isn't better. Besides it's way easier to mount a pair of seperates in the door(factory style) than to mess with the dash at all. Also you should think about bigger mids in the front. The more midbase you can draw towards the front the better and more centered it will sound. The front stage should always be the main focus. Rear speakers are just for fill, you should barely be able to hear them. About 7 years ago I custom installed a set of Infinity 5.25" seperates into the factory grills(not easy) in my car before it was mine. They still sound good, but I have a set of 6.5" MB Quarts waiting on a shelf to go in. That will be sweet, high end german speakers in my german baby. I've done a ton of research on imaging in car audio(and wrote a paper on it) so I know a thing or two about making a car sound good. I couldn't count all of the installs I've done, but I'm still learning. That was my educated $.02 for today.
J.B.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any where i can buy those baffles thats not online so i can have them quicker?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Not sure. Try car audio shops locally.