Springtime tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springtime tuneup

it's getting warm outside, so i would like to address a couple of issues on my car. i bought it this winter, and ever since i got it takes 3-4 seconds of cranking before it starts. When it is warm however, it starts right up. What could be the reason for this? Also, it's getting really bad gas mileage (like 17 mpg avg.) What can i do to fix that? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Springtime tuneup

I guess just do a whole tune up on the car

Plugs, wires, rotor
Fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank
Oil change with restore additive
New airfilter
Clean out the CIS pump.

- I think these things(esp- plugs.. and air filter) would fix the starting issue as well as the MPG, if these things havnt been done in a while.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:13 PM
TPW
AudiWorld Member

Default Restore

Have you had good luck with this oil additive?
Old 03-29-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Restore

I added some restore when changing the oil after I was hearing some ticking valves. (The oil was being purged due to a collapsed breather hose.) The ticking went away. Also used some in my old pickup, just for good measure. I figure it cant hurt. I like the groovy blue color anyway.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Restore

Well I think I will do compression tests on my audi before I put restore in, and after driving about 1000 miles. I know there were people (in here) doing those tests and getting very positive results.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I always use lucas oil stabilizer for oil, and lucas injector cleaner in the

tank. I haven't seen anything better for ticking lifters and boosting compression. the fuel cleaner is pertoleum based so it wont dry out seals, so you can add it more often than something like sea-foam. I used to use restore, but I've been straying away from wal-mart products. it works ok though
Old 03-30-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Springtime tuneup - fuel injector cleaner

Ok, so I went to Canadian Tire, thought I would do the spring tuneup thing...

but there are like a million different fuel injector cleaners and fuel system cleaners...any suggestions, or are they all the same?

And with respect to engine additives, there are several that sound like that "restore" stuff, but I never saw that particlar brand...again, are any of these other ones worth it?
Old 03-30-2003, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Springtime tuneup - fuel injector cleaner

My dad gets uses GUNK fuel injector cleaner at the shop. I am not going to say it is 'the best' because everyone using a product says its the best. However I can say it is effective. We've had cars iding a bit rough, added a can with atleast 10 gallons of gas and after 100 miles or so, the engine idled much more smooth.
There are a lot of add in stuff out there, but the reason I would use restore is because people told me first hand that they did tests, and their engines clicky valves got quieter. And as of the gunk fuel injector cleaner, we know it works, so we use it. I am sure that most of these add in formulas are basically the same, but I guess my logic is if it works, and you know it works first hand, then use it!
Old 03-30-2003, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had good luck cleaning injectors with Exxon Tekron fuel system cleaner.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Trago-Colapsed Breather hose?

That colapsed breather hose was doing what? Mine is colapsed as well, what is it hurting?

Hank

Quick Reply: Springtime tuneup