stalling problem, any ideas? kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling problem, any ideas? kinda long

Last week my problem was a high idle.

Heres what was done, checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned isv, replaced mfts, idle, ecu, and afterrun temp senders. Made sure connections were good, and checked for clicking when throttle switch should be in idle position.

To fix high idle turned the idle screw all the way in as it should have been (but wasnt)and the car ran great 750 idle.

Now i think i know why the idle screw was turned out, because something in the idle system drops out and closes the isv stalling the car every once in a while.

At red lights, will be idling then stall. restarts fine. Runs ok for a while then repeats.

To drive it for now i unplugged the isv and set idle just using the idle screw. Seems to run ok, but i'd like to fix it right.

Acording the sjm's site the throttle switch can have bad contact solder, would this cause the car to die on idle sometimes? from the reading on that website it seems like it causes high idle issues only?? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2004, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It sounds like the throttle switch could be the cause

I've not personally had trouble with the throttle switch, but certainly if its idle contacts didn't close occasionally the car's idle would drop, since the idle controller would never turn on, nor of course would the ISV open.

If it were me I'd prolly test the idle switch (engine off) a few times with an ohmmeter, making sure that mechanically its contacts close every time my foot is taken off the accelerator pedal.

Maybe I'd even try temporarily running a pair of test leads from the switch to a DC voltmeter temporarily resting on the passenger seat. (Route the wires out the rear of the hood and into the cabin through the passenger window.) Start the engine -- is there a small DC voltage across the contacts when you're not at idle? (The voltage across the contacts should be zero when they're closed.) If so, drive until the idle dropped too low and see if the contacts failed to close. (If so, there will still be a DC voltage across them.) Then you've found the culprit.

If the idle switch is at fault I'd try to clean its contacts. Failing that, I'd replace the throttle switch.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default two things... throttle switch and decel valve

i'd bet on a combination of both. BTDT over a year ago. Bought a new swithc and within a month the problem was back so i spent a LONG time trouble shooting everything else because there was no way the switch was bad! in the end, guess what? The month old swith was dead...ugh what a pain!