Starting problem almost solved..... My fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problem almost solved..... My fuel

accumulator is leaking. I was troubleshooting my hardstart and cold start problem with my neighbors help.
While hovering over the car, He noticed that there was a large puddle of gas under the rear of the car. I inspected and sure enough the fuel accumulator is leaking.

I'll replace and check to see if this solves my starting problem.

LarryF_in_Ca
Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starting problem almost solved..... My fuel

Good to have a neighbor who is mechanically incline. A leaking fuel accumulator would cause the problems you're having. Learn something new everyday.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't want to dissapoint you, but it might not be your problem...

It might help, but don't count on that. I've had problems with hard hot start and the pressure accumulator was bad, but when I replaced it, it didn't solve the problem. I hope it'll solve yours though, especially if it's leaking, you need to replace it anyways. My problem was buried somewhere in fuel distributor/CIS box. I don't know where exactly and I don't care anymore. I replaced almost every single component of my fuel injection system trying to fix my hard hot start problem (i.e. fuel pump check valve, fuel accumulator, fuel injectors complete with shrouds, timing reference sensor, warm-up regulator, some temperature sensors, all vacuum lines, etc., too much to list). And when I was almost ready to drive my car off the cliff, I decided to give it last chance and I bought a used CIS box from one fellow at audifans marketplace, he said it was from good running vehicle, so I went ahead and replace complete assembly and it solved my problem.
I suspect my problem was somehow related to residual pressure, I can't tell for sure 'cause I didn't test it (don't have the right equipment). Do the fuel pressure test if you didn't do it yet, it might give you some more clues and you will not spend as much time and money as I to fix you starting issues. Also, test the cold start injector.

HTH and good luck!

Sergei Pokrovsky
'87 5KCSTQW, 192k miles
Almond Beige Metallic/Sport graphite alcantara interior, IA chip/spring, Euro relayed lights, boge turbo gas/bilsteins ...
Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hope that's the end of it for you! 10 points for not shooting it...